What's new
What's new

Jones & Shipman 540 Hyrdaulics

leeroy76

Plastic
G'day All

I have a used Jones & Shipman 540 Surface grinder. It's a very early model with a counter weight at the back.
I am having trouble with the way oiler system. It's pumping way too much oil to the bedways.
I did find some information online that showed the adjuster screw for the bed way oiler is inside the throttle control lever but this appears to not be the case for mine. Removing the throttle lever retaining bolt and peering in with a torch and or small screwdriver and it's just a blind hole..
So anyone with experience with the early models and how to adjust the way oiler?

Cheers
Lee

If it's an old belt-driven pump then it might be like my old one. There's a pressure relief valve on top of the pump unit for you to adjust the main pressure. Flow control to the table was done by brass needle valves on pipework to the rear of the z-axis slide. The z axis was lubricated manually (or not, as it seemed by the previous owner of mine).

EDIT: Found a pic, it's a crummy quality but the control valves are identified with the green markings.

oil control valves.jpg

If it's an old belt-driven pump then it might be like my old one. There's a pressure relief valve on top of the pump unit for you to adjust the main pressure. Flow control to the table was done by brass needle valves on pipework to the rear of the z-axis slide. The z axis was lubricated manually (or not, as it seemed by the previous owner of mine).

EDIT: Found a pic, it's a crummy quality but the control valves are identified with the green markings.

View attachment 298164

G'day Peter
Thanks for the reply. When i first got the machine, there were no oil pipes at all. Each way had an oil nipple installed. Like your z axis, mine clearly didn't get enough oil.. I had often wondered if there was supposed to be a tube system to get oil to the other ways.
Mine has internal oil feed from the main control manifold to the front flat way only. From there it runs to the rear of the housing to a threaded nipple. No oil gets to the rear "v" way. At first i thought the there must be a blockage to the rear way and so i cleaned out the hole pretty well and had a feel around with a fine piece of piano wire but i could find no hole leading back to the manifold. I removed the oil nipples and made some pipework from some 1/4" air line and suitable push fittings, but as in my original post the ways are pouring oil everywhere..
It would be easy enough to add some needle valves for the y axis ways and the rear V way but the front flat way is internal and so no way to add a valve here.. Any suggestions?
The pump on mine is a chain drive, but the pump is well worn and the pressure needs to be wound all the way up to get the machine to operate properly.

Cheers
Lee

Attachments

• way oiler1.jpg
    way oiler1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 46
  • way oiler2.jpg
    way oiler2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 46
Ever since i bought the 540 i have a year or so ago, i have been looking at various pictures online of the 540's and i have never seen two the same. They all seem to be different. On mine there is an oil nipple on the right hand side of the casting that is the oil to the cross feed nut. On the back of the cross slide there is a nipple to lube the end of the screw where it sits in a bush.

I was told that the slotted screw with the lock nut, that sits under a little cover on the top of the hydraulic valve on the bottom right hand side is what adjusts the oil to the slides ?

The pump on mine is a chain drive, but the pump is well worn and the pressure needs to be wound all the way up to get the machine to operate properly.

Lee,
I don't know the answer to your problem, but I noticed the following warning in an old 540 manual. I am wondering if winding up the pressure is the reason for your excessive oil?

J&S 540 oil pump pressure 01.JPG

Ever since i bought the 540 i have a year or so ago, i have been looking at various pictures online of the 540's and i have never seen two the same. They all seem to be different. On mine there is an oil nipple on the right hand side of the casting that is the oil to the cross feed nut. On the back of the cross slide there is a nipple to lube the end of the screw where it sits in a bush.

I was told that the slotted screw with the lock nut, that sits under a little cover on the top of the hydraulic valve on the bottom right hand side is what adjusts the oil to the slides ?

From the literature i've seen, the slotted screw with a lock nut is a "throttle screw". I did make some adjustments to mine but it didn't seem to make any difference to either the oil flow to the ways or to the general operation of the hydraulic system. I will however go back and have another look at it..

Cheers
Lee

Back