Jones and Shipman 540 power feed
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jones and Shipman 540 power feed

I recently picked up a Jones and Shipman 540 for not a lot of money and i am working on it to get it back in good order. One thing that strikes me though is the amount of hand cranking to get the wheel to rise and fall to where you want it.

I know J&S did their own power feed, but has anyone retro-fitted a powerfeed to rise and lower the wheel ? I was wondering if a z-axis power feed kit as used on the bridgeport mills could be grafted on ?

Has anyone done anything like that ?

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a J&S 540 with power up/down feed. It's important because the handwheel on my machine is 0.2 mm per revolution. That's 50 turns to go up by 10mm. Since the vertical travel is about 400mm, we're talking 2000 turns to go all the way up, and the same to go down.

Just a comment that when I use the power feed, the normal handwheel mechanism does not rotate. The power feed drives the lead screw directly from a motor at the bottom of the machine. So it doesn't make use of all the reduction gearing from the handwheel.

3. Likes ronan, michiganbuck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for taking the time to reply Ballen. I might see if i can buy a power feed cheap from china or get one second hand and have a play with it, see if i can fit it to the grinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might do better with a DC motor and worm drive hooked directly to the screw in similar fashion to the original. Using an ordinary electronic feed unit and driving via the hand wheel gearing will be very slow.

Depending on space I'd be considering a poly-Vee belt drive via electromagnetic clutch. For testing purposed maybe scavenge the clutch off a car aircon system and a big 24 volt wiper motor off a lorry or bus.

I have a couple of nice 12 volt servo motors with worm drive gearbox on the output in the "gonna be useful one day" box that you could easily convince me are wiper motors with a different label. At 3 for £10 from a new surplus outfit I wasn't complaining. The one I used was great. I think Bosch or one of the other electrical / electronic outfits list a goodly range of such motors at almost acceptable prices.

Clive

6. Likes ronan liked this post