What's new
What's new

Jones and Shipman 540 Queries

edwarj3

Plastic
Just acquired a 1973 Jones and Shipman 540 Surface grinder and am in the process of a refurb and conversion to single phone with VFD's. I would appreciate it if anyone could help with the following questions:

- What is the direction of rotation of the hydraulic pump?

- I have removed the table and checked the ways - I would be grateful if someone could advice how to remove the cross-saddle as I need to replace the cross slide lead screw.

- Any tips to the best way to remove the wheelhead motor.

I'm sure there will be other questions !!!

Many thanks!

Best bet would be to buy a manual from Tony at Lathes.co.uk, I bought one from him and it will give you most of the detail you should need, the rest is unfortunately trial and error.

I’m alsoin the process of refurbishing a 540. I had to replace the metalastik bushes, the sprockets and chain and for good measure the bearings in the sump motor. The chain should rotate anti-clockwise when looking at the sprockets.

The cross slide takes a little effort to release. From inside the machine detach the 3 hydraulic pipes and the oil way to the nut which is a copper pipe. Outside the machine you need to remove the cross slide handle, mechanism and the lead screw. It’s a few bolts, and fairly easy / obvious. However, the micro adjust uses a worm drive which you need to remove before you can get the auto advance system out. The micro adjust is held in by two bushes, top and bottom. They are each secured by three counter sunk screws. The micro adjust dial has a grub screw. Remove all fastenings and the micro adjust dial. Tap on the spindle which will push out the bottom bush. Be careful, you don’t want to damage the gear teeth / worm.

Once you have got all the gubbins out, unscrew the lead screw. It’s just held by a bronze bush at the opposite end. With the lead screw out the cross slide just lifts off. It’s blinking heavy!

I haven’t yet removed the spindle motor, most advise is that it comes out through the front. I’ve taken out everything from inside the machine, and that seems possible but not ideal. I’m planning on cleaning / repairing everything to do with the tables and then taking off the spindle column and getting at the motor that way. I want to check the vertical lead screw. My cross slide lead screw is worn out and needs to be replaced. I’ve read in here the cross slide lead screw is acme single start 5 TPI, however it’s actually a dual start 5 TPI thread

Back