What's new
What's new

Jones and Shipman Electrical Problems

mike.thomas1

Aluminum
Just brought home an early example of a 540. Ran wonderfully at the old guys shop. Finally get her home, hook up to my phase converter and nothing. Only a hum when I hold down spindle start switch. Open up the panel and see the contractor. If I push down the red bar in the second photo the spindle comes to life. It seems the magnetic solenoid doesn't not have the oomph to close the switch? The hydro circuit does nothing at all now. I see the red turkey baster thing sticking up (See photo), assume thats showing some sort of fault but it does not latch when depressed. Im at a loss since electrical is not my strength.

I was told it was running off 240ish at his shop, always had to turn on his phase converter to use it there. Called him back, says he's certain of it. I have a 240ish supply here. Im open to any input.

IMG_3220.jpg IMG_3222.jpg

Opened all the motors, they are wired for high voltage... Guess the old man forgot. Whats my cheapest option? Replace contractors and rewire motors? Buck/boost transformer? Sell the damn thing? Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Another thing to make sure of is that you aren't running the control circuit with the manufactured phase. Tat is, you need to energize them with one of the two wires that come directly from the 240V single phase circuit, through the idler motor.

Paolo

Back