What's new
What's new

Jones and Shipman 'X' model info (1400X or 540X)

v22

Aluminum
I recently purchased a 1996 Jones and Shipman 1400X surface grinder (on a whim). The deal was good and the work envelope useful so I figured what the heck and purchased. There seems to be sparse information out there in the "X" models by J&S. Whilst I await its arrival can someone please fill me in on this range be it 540X or 1400X?

I am also hunting a manual..

Last edited:
In case anyone finds this in the future. My 1400X arrived. I believe it is 1996 vintage. J&S have the operator and parts manuals for them. One has to pay a small fee but it's well worth it. The manual is comprehensive. The manual is for both the 540X & 1400X.

The "X" models are a fully automatic surface grinder. In the words of Jones and Shipman:

"1400x machines are microprocessor controlled surface grinders. The wheelfeed and crossfeed axes are directed by electric motors and the table traverse is powered hydraulically. Control of the machine is by a touch sensitive panel, conveniently positioned at waist height on the front of the machine. The panel contains all the functions necessary for precise control of grinding cycle and includes digital read out on the crossfeed and wheelfeed axes."

The machine is new to me so I'm in no way an expert. From the manual it states that one touches-off and sets a grind "depth". The machine does the rest in a fully automated cycle. When done it returns to the home position.

The following are some photos including the front lifting bracket I had to make (per the manual) to extract from the pallet.

IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0493.jpg IMG_0496.jpg IMG_0500.jpg

What a beauty and a monster!
I've been debating about an old 540 or a 1400 for years. No particular need for it just love those machines! Their CNC models are unreal! There are some amazing videos online of automatic wheel profiling.

What does that monster weigh?

What a beauty and a monster!
I've been debating about an old 540 or a 1400 for years. No particular need for it just love those machines! Their CNC models are unreal! There are some amazing videos online of automatic wheel profiling.

What does that monster weigh?
The manual says it weighs 2646 lbs, or 1.2 tons. It's a beast, that's for sure. The electricals on the machine are intuitive and easy to use. It's a dream machine in terms of being able to grind 24" in a fully automatic way. I literally set the grind depth on the DRO, do a quick spark out and walk off*. It does the rest.

*I admit, sometimes I just stand there mesmerized by it doing its thing..

IMG_1024.jpg

The manual says it weighs 2646 lbs, or 1.2 tons. It's a beast, that's for sure. The electricals on the machine are intuitive and easy to use. It's a dream machine in terms of being able to grind 24" in a fully automatic way. I literally set the grind depth on the DRO, do a quick spark out and walk off*. It does the rest.

*I admit, sometimes I just stand there mesmerized by it doing its thing..

View attachment 146907

All along I've been bright eyed at the old clunker looking ones!

I happened to watch a video on the J&S website, which demonstrated the automatic wheel dressing and forming. I believe it was a CNC model, but WOW! Yours looks and sounds just as impressive! I understand what you're saying too. If ever there were a more hypnotic machine it is definitely the Jones & Shipman surface grinder!

Hi,
forgive me for asking this but if you ever decide to sell your 1400x, please, please let me know as im having trouble tracking one down to get refurbished to use at work :)

Hi,
forgive me for asking this but if you ever decide to sell your 1400x, please, please let me know as im having trouble tracking one down to get refurbished to use at work :)
You will have to keep an eye out for my estate sale. I see them (1400x) come up from time to time out of Europe. They are rare however. You could always contact J&S and ask them if they have any leads. They have been willing and helpful and even had spare parts when I last contacted them.

Any reason you specifically want a 1400x? I’m not up on what other alternatives are out there of that vintage without going full CNC?

Back