What's new
What's new

Jung "F" series grinders.

jCandlish

Titanium
I accidentally acquired a metric ton and a half of grinder fattness. A Jung F50.

It required some disassembly to fit through the 120cm shop door. While I'm re-doing the electrical cabinet I've done some document scans. Here is the period product catalog for the "F" series: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-r0kOumKPg2M1A1SjVveGNRMHVEdmR1aXVQWWdBdw/edit?pli=1

The usual caveat applies that it requires a google account to view/download this document. Instruction manual, Schematics and grinder apprentice coursework documentation to hopefully follow.

Is this a reputable brand name?

Sounds like a knock-off of Junker to me.

???

------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Ich muss mal für kleine Jungs!

After horsing the machine around the floor, I'm inclined to call it "Fat Bastard".

Anyhoo, the spindle bearings are made also by "Jung".

jung-spindle.jpg

The nonius of the Y and Z-axis is 2μ.

Do you have a pic of your actual machine that you could post?

Actual state of play:

2012-03-16%252020.17.14.jpg

Size comparison to F40 here:

2012-03-04%252019.23.41.jpg

Backstory --> http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/studer-ob-universal-grinder-186117/#post1769620

My DIN 876/00 630mm granit straightedge is maybe just sufficient to validate the geometry. It is a rebuilt machine that was not used for production. Unfortunately there may have been air-handleing issues.

I've got operators and training guides for both the '40' and '50', in different versions and states of completeness. More scans later.

Our village has voted to implement a "community boiler" with distributed heat exchangers to replace the individual boilers in each building. That frees up our "tankroom". The space previously used for the 8'500 liter fueloil tank will be repurposed for grinding machines. If the F50 proves good, the F40 will shortly be for sale.

Regards
<jbc>

???

------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Jung is a very well known brand of high precision grinders for a long time. And is the exact opposite of a knock off.

Bloede Amis

Hi Todd

Love to see pics of the MP-1H if you can. Did you get the punch puzzled out?

Studer OB belt project got backed up.

Got the door cut out for the grinding room last week.

20120822_111504.jpg

20120823_104213.jpg

20120823_104250.jpg

20120823_150619.jpg

The tank gets cut out on Wednesday. New 80A/400V/3~ subpanel early Sept.

cheers
<jbc>

@jbc,

even i acquired a jung, but un-fortunately a older model G-60 (the dealer says, label is removed ),

since i got this , it worked rarely, called a maintenance guy, after that worked for some time, again table stopped reciprocating, sometimes table moves at snail speed - that too in one direction.
this mc doesnt has a reciprocating cylinder for table , instead has a rotary cylinder which transmits reciprocating movement to table thru rack & pinion. Will post photo later. Constructionally mc looks similiar to F series.

do you have any manual for this one ? Needs help, any tips to start table movement,

I am fed-up

Atul
[email protected]

There is an electro-hydralic switch/solenoid that reverses the direction of the table. It is on the shaft of the spool valve. If it is out of adjustment the table will only travel in one direction, or the magnet interlock saftey will malfunction, or the manual position push-buttons will malfunction. I'm away from the shop on holiday with a very slow internet connection, so I can't post pictures or reference drawings. This switch and spool-valve are deep inside the machine.

Jung is a very well known brand of high precision grinders for a long time. And is the exact opposite of a knock off.

Bloede Amis

Thanks!

I actually just had a sales rep stop by in his travels and I noticed that Jung was in his line-up.
Still sounds too close to Junker to me for marketing similar equipment. ???

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Still sounds too close to Junker to me for marketing similar equipment. ???

Jung exists since 1951, Junker since 1962. They had no internet at that time, so maybe they din't know of each other. :)

Jung and Junker are just names. The companies were named after their founder (+ usually Maschinefabrik or something like this).

Nick

@jbc,
the problem is not uni-direction of table, but very slow or no movement of table, on the rhs side in front of mc there is a spring loaded push type button arrangement for releasing air lock in the hydraulic table, when i called the maintenance guy he fixed that button in pressed condition and said this problem will not occur from now, it worked for sometime , but the problem started after few days, Jung.jpg

Check the seals on the hydraulic cilinder
Or your pump provides to low pressure
The pressure isn`t that high anyhow I think maybe 35 Bar or so
More of a high volume low pressure system so you can control the speed better
To see if the seal leaks you disconnect one of the hoses and put pressure on the other one
Now if the seal leaks oil wil come out of the disconnected hose

Peter from Holland

Your machine has no electric relays involved in the table motion or magnetic chuck control. But it seems to have the same spool-valve setup as mine. After the spindle, this spool-valve is the 2nd most important component of the machine. It controls both the speed and direction of the table. It is located at the 10 o'clock position beside the round trap door (opposite the start button) that houses the linkage where you adjust the table speed. (Have you tried adjusting that???) To access the valve for disassembly, you must remove the housing below the traverse feed handwheel and above the door with jung cast into it. I think you will need to disassemble and clean this valve, replacing its seals on reassembly. If you do all that you'll also want to run with fresh oil from a clean tank. Good luck.

View attachment 73331

On edit: Do what peterve says and check that you have sufficient pressure and good seals in the cylinder first.

That's one hell of a lot of bearings for a simple grinders spindle! heck that spindle looks more solid than most milling spindles.

Check the seals on the hydraulic cilinder
Or your pump provides to low pressure
The pressure isn`t that high anyhow I think maybe 35 Bar or so
More of a high volume low pressure system so you can control the speed better
To see if the seal leaks you disconnect one of the hoses and put pressure on the other one
Now if the seal leaks oil wil come out of the disconnected hose

Peter from Holland

@peter,

our mc doesnt has a reciprocating cylinder, but a rotary cylinder which transmits reciprocating motion to table thru rack n pinion arrangement. One maintenance guy did suspect internal leakage inside rotary cylinder, and hence didnt touched it saying nothing can be done.
Will check oil pressure .
I will also remove table tomoro, and check rotary movement of cylinder, if it moves then internal leakage is evident. Can this be repaired or replaced with equivalent , should this one be problematic ?
Atul

Back