What's new
What's new

K.O. Lee 618 Crossfeed Transmission Issue

seantfp

Plastic
Forgive me if my inexperience shows, but I recently acquired a KO Lee 618 sight unseen and I'm looking to shed some light on either my ignorance or a problem in the crossfeed. Overall, it's in okay condition for what looks to be a late 70s model. It's now in my shop, and I have had issues with the X axis handwheel transmission assembly. When I turn the handwheel, the table doesn't move, and when I push the table across, the handwheel spins with it. In as few words, it slips.

It is a belt and cog drive, riding on a set of ball bearing ways. Both the cog, and the belt are in fine condition no missing teeth and tension is fine. I have broken down the cog and bearings that press the belt to the cog, and the woodruff key on the end of the transmission shaft is there as well. Now I have taken the transmission out completely, and I haven't broken it down before I study the parts manuals.

Now here's the big question that could be my mistake:

Do these handwheel transmissions on belt and cog drives typically slip to save the belt when coming up against excess forces?

Or is the transmission in need of repair overall?

Now, if it is normal slippage in the mechanism, it is most likely down to the ball ways being gummed up with the old grease of which there is still a lot, otherwise nothing binds up and the ways do not seem to have any scoring. If so, should I lubricate the ball ways with an oil or simply regrease with some good SKF?

Could belt tension also play a factor? It was very tight, perhaps too much so.

Typically, how easily should the table slide along the X axis?

Thanks for any help in advance.

20210301_210831.jpg
20210301_210845.jpg

Forgive me if my inexperience shows, but I recently acquired a KO Lee 618 sight unseen and I'm looking to shed some light on either my ignorance or a problem in the crossfeed. Overall, it's in okay condition for what looks to be a late 70s model. It's now in my shop, and I have had issues with the X axis handwheel transmission assembly. When I turn the handwheel, the table doesn't move, and when I push the table across, the handwheel spins with it. In as few words, it slips.

It is a belt and cog drive, riding on a set of ball bearing ways. Both the cog, and the belt are in fine condition no missing teeth and tension is fine. I have broken down the cog and bearings that press the belt to the cog, and the woodruff key on the end of the transmission shaft is there as well. Now I have taken the transmission out completely, and I haven't broken it down before I study the parts manuals.

Now here's the big question that could be my mistake:

Do these handwheel transmissions on belt and cog drives typically slip to save the belt when coming up against excess forces?

Or is the transmission in need of repair overall?

Now, if it is normal slippage in the mechanism, it is most likely down to the ball ways being gummed up with the old grease of which there is still a lot, otherwise nothing binds up and the ways do not seem to have any scoring. If so, should I lubricate the ball ways with an oil or simply regrease with some good SKF?

Could belt tension also play a factor? It was very tight, perhaps too much so.

Typically, how easily should the table slide along the X axis?

Thanks for any help in advance.

View attachment 315396
View attachment 315397

The table should take very little effort to move!

You have to much resistance from the grease, the hand wheel is just slipping on the belt?

Clean the grease out of there, It should be Way oil IIRC?

The four wells on the end of the ball tracks are part of the oil reservoirs, they need to have enough oil in there to keep the tracks lubricated?

When you traverse the table fully to either end, the wells are exposed to check oil level and or refilling.

I can look in the manual and see if there’s an adjustment procedure for the belt, also what oil and how much is recommended?

Kevin

Currently cleaning off the saddle and table ways, Idefinitely agree with you. I think the grease is too old, and certainly not the right type and it is putting too much resistance on the handwheel so it slips. When i pushed the table by hand, I would say it rolled, but definitely not as fast as other machines I'd seen.

I'm looking into how to oil it, it does indeed call for light way oil only, and I found another manual off of Vintage Machinery that also lists oils in spec.

If I'm taking the right guess, it looks like the oiling channels are the thin tall slots on either side of the v-ways with the wells at either end.

Thanks again for the help, I'll post here when I get it all back together and oiled up.

On my KO Lee 618 from the late '70s, the long axis crank handle is pushed straight in or pulled straight out to engage or disengage. Needs a bit of force, not too much. Just wiggle around while pulling or pushing and it will definitely engage or disengage.

Yours might be different, but I suspect it isn't.

You do know you can download a manual from LeBlond, right?

metalmagpie

Yep, I've got the manuals from LeBlond and VM.

As it turns out, there were 2 main issues; Improper lube for the ball ways in the form of old and somewhat crusty grease and a woodruff key that had fallen out inside the handwheel assembly. Otherwise everything else seems fine.

So if it's of any help to anyone who might have a similar issue to mine and found this thread:

As described, table was fairly stiff on the X-axis, felt "gummy." Handwheel turned with the table being pushed, (as the belt was turning the cog on the end of the handwheel shaft) but slipped when turned by hand.

2 issues were:

#1- Wrong Lubrication:
Old grease was found on the ball ways. Old, and in some spots crusty. At times it had to be scraped off of the table and saddle ways.

#2- Handwheel Slipping - Woodruff Key out of Keyseat:
Handwheel and shaft were removed and torn down. Woodruff key found hanging out in the jaws inside the handwheel.

Solutions:
#1: Degrease and deep clean. Way oil used as lubricant instead. Ball ways are easily lubricated as decribed by Kevin in this thread and the manual.

#2 : Entire Transmission assy was removed as a precaution. This wouldn't be necessary otherwise, as the handwheel is easily removed from the front, exposing the rudimentary clutch jaws and shaft keyseat that is the most likely culprit to check first.

Re-seated the key, problem seems to be solved.

Thanks again for the help and advice!

Back