What's new
What's new

KO Lee Work Head Dividing Plates to make

garyrice

Aluminum
I have a KO Lee sensitive work head model B942 that came with several dividing heads. They are 4, 6. 8, 24 and 28 divisions.

I had a project that required a 36 division head. So I contacted LeBlond (who bought the KO Lee assets) to see if they had one in inventory. They didn't but said they would make one for $500. I declined and decided to make my own.

I bought enough steel to make that one plus 4 more. So I now have the 36 divisions one made and the project completed.

And I have 4 more blanks.

I was thinking that 1 disc should be a 40 division one since I don't have a way to do a 5-sided piece yet. But the other 3 are still waiting for a decision.

I typically do 1-off sorts of stuff so I never know what's next. "Versatility" is the key word here.

The KO Lee catalog only lists even numbered plates. Does it make sense to have some odd numbered ones? Have you ever needed a plate like that?

Gary

I've never had a need for a odd number plate other than three divisions which can be done with the standard 24 notch plate. Like you, I thought about making a set, but why? A 36 notch plate would be a nice one to have for doing five divisions as you have done.

I have a KO Lee sensitive work head model B942 that came with several dividing heads. They are 4, 6. 8, 24 and 28 divisions.

I had a project that required a 36 division head. So I contacted LeBlond (who bought the KO Lee assets) to see if they had one in inventory. They didn't but said they would make one for $500. I declined and decided to make my own.

I bought enough steel to make that one plus 4 more. So I now have the 36 divisions one made and the project completed.

And I have 4 more blanks.

I was thinking that 1 disc should be a 40 division one since I don't have a way to do a 5-sided piece yet. But the other 3 are still waiting for a decision.

I typically do 1-off sorts of stuff so I never know what's next. "Versatility" is the key word here.

The KO Lee catalog only lists even numbered plates. Does it make sense to have some odd numbered ones? Have you ever needed a plate like that?

Gary

I think you are surely on the right track. Indexer-spacer plates make lots of work harder to screw-up than direct use of a DH. Not just faster and easier.

I have the full 7-plate "extended" set for my Ellis DH. But as it is ALSO a spacer/indexer? It can be wiser to use the DH to MAKE a bespoke index plate, then do the job off that.

That way, IF you screw the pooch, it is only another hunk of plain steel. Not a complex final part.

All that said?

Make the 40. But leave the remaining spare blanks AS blanks?

Make "whatever else" you need when you actually NEED it.

You KNOW how that works under Lybarger's Corollary to Sod's Law?

If you use them up? Every advance choice you make - no matter how well thought-out...will turn out to be the wrong one for an actual tasking!

:D

Back