What's new
What's new

Landis 618 Surface Grinder

nobrakese28

Cast Iron
Anyone have any information on these grinders? I found one locally and hoping to find some information on the unit before purchasing.
The unit looks to be in good shape, it was x&y tables were recently taken apart and cleaned. Has a standard permanent magnet Brown and Sharpe chuck. I searched the web, but I only found an old brochure.

It appears to be a roller bearing machine, and its 440v only.

Thanks,

Marco

we have the same grinder but it operates on 220 3 phase, it is a roller design V way table on the X axis I don't recall what the Y axis is. The table is moved by a cable tied at the ends to the table and simply wrapped three times around the shaft of the X axis travel handle. the table is only held in place by gravity, (and the cable) so be sure to secure it in place for shipping. It is a nice machine to operate but if it has been used with water based coolant, it will require a thorough cleaning as it sticks the Z axis ways ( as was the case on ours)the magnet should be removed too and the underside of the magnet and table closely inspected for corrosion. the manuals can still be found for these. The drive motor is a cartridge style and integral to the head, so any repair will require a motor re-builder instead of a simple replacement.

we have the same grinder but it operates on 220 3 phase, it is a roller design V way table on the X axis I don't recall what the Y axis is. The table is moved by a cable tied at the ends to the table and simply wrapped three times around the shaft of the X axis travel handle. the table is only held in place by gravity, (and the cable) so be sure to secure it in place for shipping. It is a nice machine to operate but if it has been used with water based coolant, it will require a thorough cleaning as it sticks the Z axis ways ( as was the case on ours)the magnet should be removed too and the underside of the magnet and table closely inspected for corrosion. the manuals can still be found for these. The drive motor is a cartridge style and integral to the head, so any repair will require a motor re-builder instead of a simple replacement.

Thank you for the insight. Does the machine hold tolerance nicely? Does it use a standard or electro-magnetic chuck.

yes it does hold good tolerance, it has a standard, manually operated chuck on it. It had a Brown and Sharpe chuck on it but with the aluminum body which had corroded badly between the base of the mag chuck and the table. Since the previous owner used water based coolant there was also internal damage to the chuck. fortunately I was able to clean up the table fairly easily and I've since installed a Suburban Tools manual mag chuck. If the machine has been treated decent it should serve you well.

It seems to have been, doesn't show any signs of water coolant being used. The current owner took the tables off and cleaned everything to verify the oiling is working, he also automated the oiling in a way. It has an actuator that actuated when a button is pressed, almost certain its not original. Very interested to check it out under the covers.

The machine has a 6x18 magnetic chuck, he is also selling a fully automatic Boyat-Schultz with a parts machine, its has a really nice Walker electro-magnetic chuck and controller, its probably worth more than what he is asking for the Boyar-Schultz.

The original oiler is located on the left side of the machine, it is a spring powered plunger. You pull on the T handle and the spring does the rest. there are times I wish I had an automatic machine for certain jobs, but manual works fine for most of what I do. If I do ever get a automatic I'd like it to have a much larger travel to take on those larger pieces that come along. Good luck.

Back