What's new
What's new

Landis CH cylindrical ...how to deaden workhead center and still rotate outside

lalatheman

Hot Rolled
Just now new to me...A Landis CH 12 X 36 universal cylindrical

No manual yet and I am new to grinders. Workhead rotates with center works well,

how do I deaden workhead center and still rotate the outside to drive a grinding dog ?

work head  dog and. hole.jpg

The round object in about center of pic pulls out turns 90 degree and latches both positions

and the threaded hole on the rim of the faceplate mount is used with it in some combination I

think to acchieve this?

Thanks
Dave Lawrence

There should be a shoulder/dog type set screw through the large driving ring OD to the main spindle. The capscrews in the shroud are for an aux shield, take the top one out & roll things around & see if you can find it.

I can’t remember if those had a locking set screw on top of the dog screw or not (been a long time). Anyway after backing it out you turn & drop the knob on the main spindle to lock from rotation.

There’s also a grease zerk somewhere to grease the pulley/driver ring bearings over the main spindle, OR a small set screw in the face of the large ring to insert a zerk to grease from the front IIRC. If it’s been using the innie & outie together for a long time the grease may be pretty crunchy and may need a teardown for cleaning. Even with driving by dog & dead center a crunchy pulley bearing will show up on the work.

Good Luck
Matt

Yes, I am tearing it down for cleaning and inspection. I found a brass tag below the tail end of the spindle saying....

" Warning do not attempt to adjust bearing preload without first referencing instruction manual"

Sofar, I have gotten ahold of a parts listing..... and an operators manual,and neither gives any of that kind of info.

At this point I wasnt planning to go for bearing prealod , just crusty grease an grit cleanout and relube to get the spindle lock/unlock and rotate

functions working

Thanks
Dave

Be sur to not air blow spin the beatings. Many do this and ruin even brand new bearings with high speed lose spinning. New bearings should be slosh cleaned in new fulid and set covered to drain and dry

Back