What's new
What's new

Landis cylindrical grinder questions

boomerang69

Aluminum
Good day everyone,I have an opportunity to get a Landis 16" x 36" type c universal grinder,and have a few questions.First I need to know the weight so I can arrange getting it picked up,and was wondering when it was built.The serial number is 24652.I haven't got any pictures,its in a local shop covered up with who knows what,the owner is a antique collector/packrat.There is nothing on it that would do any damage.Any help would be appreciated
Rick

Early forties - maybe. The vast majority of Landis products had lot numbers

My 14 X 60 B&S mechanical universal is about 7000 Lbs.

I would imagine the Landis is some heavier - since it has a hydraulic system

An important thing to know on such grinders is the only thing holding the table on is the hydraulic piston rod

Thanks for the info,not sure what I'll do with it,not a lot of work around here for it.I don't have much spare space to waste.The shop that has it will need to do some cleaning up and moving stuff before I can get it.I'll be looking around for work for it.

Last edited:
I have a Landis type C universal ,16x72,ex US Navy....weight around 6 to 7 tons....I do have the instruction book ,but no weights are given...I would estimate a 36" to be more than 4 tons,more likely 5....They are a hard machine to pick up with a crane ,having no thru holes in the frame......be careful you dont lift the table off the bed with slings,you ll likely bend the rams...Mine would be 1942 or 43 I would think.,and has the crossed cannons stamp,as well as the flaming bomb...They are a marvellous machine,mine was more accurate than I could measure........but very hard to find work for,unless you are prepared to go into hardchrome plating,or plasma spraying.Sadly,mine had to be moved outside ,due to the massive cost of workshop space here,and I had to downsize.

Back