What's new
What's new

lifting Mitsui MSG-200M surface Grinder

sparky30_06

Plastic
Getting ready to move my late fathers machine shop across county. Have a question for lifting the surface grinder, are they any lifting points on it so it can be picked with a crane?

My Mitsui has four stout hex bolts sticking out of the base casting; two on the front, about five inches below the crossfeed ways, and one on each side of the column at the back corners at the same height off the floor. these are the lifting points, high enough on the machine that it won't try to turn turtle.These bolts stick out about 2 or 2.5 inches; perfect for lifting straps. These bolts were in the machine when I bought it second hand, and I've never taken them out. They look like 3/4" bolts but are undoubtedly metric; 20 mm maybe? If the bolts aren't on the machine, look to see if there aren't finish plugs in the holes.

A word of warning. My Mitsui has a waste oil sump in the bottom of the base that all the way lube drains to; it's about two gallon capacity and has an open top.Depending on how much use the machine has gotten, it can go decades since it was last drained, but if near full it will slosh all over. The drain plug is at the bottom back corner of the column on the right side about four inches off the floor. you will need a large pan to drain into.

And, no, I don't have a manual. Sorry.

Dennis

Also, remove table and balls for safe transportation, dont transport grinder with table/balls installed.. You could also lift table, remove balls, and place rubber rod where the balls were.. Make sure then to strap down table.

Also, remove table and balls for safe transportation, dont transport grinder with table/balls installed.. You could also lift table, remove balls, and place rubber rod where the balls were.. Make sure then to strap down table.

Thanks for the tip, it will be transported about 1100 miles. any tips and tricks for removing the table?

Dennis, where about are you at in northern Illinois? The machine is up near DeKalb, it was my late father's and I will be bringing it down to Texas with me. I don't remember any bolts sticking out but will take a look when I'm back in town next time.

Thanks for the tip, it will be transported about 1100 miles. any tips and tricks for removing the table?
The drive cable needs to be undone by loosening cable nut on right side of table. The table then just lifts up. Heavy table, so 2 guys..

[QUOTE I don't remember any bolts sticking out but will take a look when I'm back in town next time.[/QUOTE]

I'm not that far west. Some people get offended by the bolts, so take them out. Look for holes just below the crossfeed ways. Also look through your dad's stuff; not much use here for large metric hex bolts and he probably saved them. This site has a bunch of pix (not mine) of a similar grinder; The bolts are in place except the one removed to mount the chuck controller. 2001 Mitsui MSG-200 MH Surface Grinder - MKE Machine
Dennis

I know he didn't have them cause I remember unloading it the the forks on the skidloaded, it was a tad hairy when it started sliding on the forks!

The drive cable needs to be undone by loosening cable nut on right side of table. The table then just lifts up. Heavy table, so 2 guys..

I'm working from memory for install of my Mitsui, but the drive cables are weighted/spring loaded so be careful not to let the cable drop into the machine.

On my 205MH, the cable secures to the ends of the table with one fixed and one adjustable "terminal". In between, it wraps around the drive drum multiple times. If it does manage to fall into the machine, remove the large panel on the (right?) side of the base and fish it out of the large empty space.

The biggest headache I had when cleaning up my new-to-me-but-really-filthy machine was wrapping the cable around the drum properly so it lay in the grooves and didn't cross itself, while holding tension on both ends and securing it to the table ends. Not rocket science, but four hands would have made the job a lot easier.

+1 on everything in previous posts concerning the factory lift holes, sump soup, and removing the table for transport. Table should be removed for transport and can be done alone, better with help, using an engine hoist if no help available. Re-attaching the cable can be frustrating due to minimal cable length (on mine anyway) that makes threading the nut on the cable end difficult. I used a small toolmaker's clamp on the cable (do NOT mash the cable, just make enough contact so it doesn't slip over the threaded rod) and a small pry bar to put enough tension on the cable so the threaded end would expose a few threads past the casting and allow the but to start on a few threads. It's not difficult but does require a bit of finesse so have a good look at the cable arrangement BEFORE dis-assembly, even take a few photos for reference will pay dividends. Winding of the cable on the drum per the factory should also be examined, it only works one way. Pay attention to which drum groove the cable exits/enters, it will save you numerous attempts at getting it correct. I didn't pay much attention to all this when I moved mine and had several frustrating attempts before figuring it out. It's a good grinder, used many of them in die shops I worked at before purchasing one for home use. My condolences for the loss to you and your family. Good luck.

Does anyone know the exact size of the lifting bolts for a MSG-205MH (6x18)? Also where I could get a manual at, checked everywhere with the all knowing Google and couldn't find anything but a parts manual which shows a picture of them but they are not listed. TIA..

Does anyone know the exact size of the lifting bolts for a MSG-205MH (6x18)? Also where I could get a manual at, checked everywhere with the all knowing Google and couldn't find anything but a parts manual which shows a picture of them but they are not listed. TIA..
M20x2.5 bolts for my MSG-200M
Manuals are available on ebay..

Manuals are also available new from Mitsui USA. Price for a new manual for a 205MH and a replacement dust bellows for the Y-axis leadscrew was not too unreasonable, as these things go.

Thanks everyone for the input, took a trip up to look things over and found the large plug for lifting bolts. I feel a lot more confident on lifting it now when the time comes.

Thinking about building a steel base to bolt it down to for transport, it will have fork lift tubes so we can move it around the trailer easier.

Back