What's new
What's new

A little Sunnen hone help

B34VD

Aluminum
Hello gentlemen: I am new to this forum although I have been reading it for some time. I picked up an older Sunnen Hone (MBB-1290D) that is in good shape despite it's age. It did have a hand brushed paint job on it that would have embarrassed a garbage barge so I decided to strip her down and give it a good going over and a new coat of paint. I want to replace the spindle bearings while I have it apart but am having a little issue getting the spindle flanges off. I tried a little pressure with a jaw puller and bearing splitter but didn't want to get medival with it until I was sure how the flanges come off. Looking at the parts breakdown it looks as if they might screw on but it's not clear. Attached is a pic of the spindle in question. Thanks, Bill.

001.jpg

well...

That model should have the MAN-310 flat belt pulley system. You obviously are 'there', yet what is the reason for replacing the bearings? What is the overall mechanical (not cosmetic) condition of the hone?

That model should also have the feed dial indicator. If it does I have a question (or two) for you.

Thanks,
Carl

It's threaded. Is it a flat belt, or flat belt and V belt drive?
It has a flat drive belt. Thanks, that what I needed to know.

That model should have the MAN-310 flat belt pulley system. You obviously are 'there', yet what is the reason for replacing the bearings? What is the overall mechanical (not cosmetic) condition of the hone?

That model should also have the feed dial indicator. If it does I have a question (or two) for you.

Thanks,
Carl

The overall condition is good but needs a good cleaning. The bearings sound a little on the dry side so now would be a good time to replace them. It does have the feed dial indicator on it. (though the face of the dial took a shot in the past) What do you need to know?

Thanks for the info gappmast. I got the shaft apart this morning, I'll get some new brgs. next week. Spot putty on the housing is drying as I type. Hope to finish the wet sanding and be ready for paint Monday. Got a pretty nice deal on it with a good selection of mandrals. A little elbow grease and I should have a fine little machine to add to the shop.

It has a flat drive belt. Thanks, that what I needed to know.

The overall condition is good but needs a good cleaning. The bearings sound a little on the dry side so now would be a good time to replace them. It does have the feed dial indicator on it. (though the face of the dial took a shot in the past) What do you need to know?

Do have a pic of the dial indicator bracket system? I need a pic of the bracket off the back of the indicator that goes into the mount off the feed dial. Also, what are the approximate inside diameters of the holes that clamp down on the dial bracket assembly?

Thanks,
Carl

Carl S:
I've got some good pics of the set up you need. I scanned them to post but the file size is too big. I'll break it down and get back to you. Bill

Here are some pics I took of the set up.

sunnen dial 002.jpg

sunnen dial 003.jpg

sunnen dial 004.jpg

sunnen dial 005.jpg

I have some pdf. files I scanned out of the manuals that show a nice breakdown of the whole set up but I can't seem to figure out how to get them small enough to post. Also I am not clear which hole you need the measuement of. if you can point it out I'll be glad to get the dimensions for you. If you like you can PM me a e-mail address and I can send you the pdf. files. Bill

Bill,

The pics are very helpful. I haven't taken this component off a Sunnen hone for some time now. So I have some questions:

• Bore diameters for A1 and A2 on the bracket?
  • Outside diameters for B1 and B2?
  • The distance for the indicator post from the edge of the case to the end of the post where the tip threads?

I'm fairly sure the bracket clamps only on B1. The post of the indicator B2 is a loose fit when it is secured in the bracket.

Also, the distance I'm asking about must be at least 1" or so. That will allow the use of the Sunnen rubber indicator tip. Sunnen used to have Federal supply the indicators and they all seemed to have the 1" post length dimension.

I can complete this component on my machine with my current design. I'm keen on having the info on how Sunnen did it.

Thanks for all your help! How is the rebuild coming along? Complete?

Carl

indicator_review.jpg

Hey Carl, the rebuild is moving right along. I finished sanding & painting the housing and various external parts. All the internal parts have been cleaned, new bearings for the shaft are installed. All ready for reassembly.

Now for the dimension you asked for.

A1=.455
A2=.422
B1=.435
B2=.375

length of the stem at the base of the dial = .735
003.jpg

This is good pic of the cross section out of a manual I have.

Bill,

That is the info I was in search of for this component of the hone! I will machine the parts that are missing and find an indicator. All the Federal gages of mine have the short tip shaft like on indicator model C21C.

If you're interested, the Sunnen rubber tip part number for the indictor is MBB705A. They still stock it and the cost is around $10 or so. Which is cheap for a Sunnen part.

Post pics of your rebuild when done.

Thanks!

Carl

Carl, would you or any other member know what the inital adjustment for the pressure control linkage is?

There are two nuts on the back side of the machine. One is a 3/4 and the other is a jam nut that locks the 3/4. With no mandrel in the machine turn the pressure setting to zero and adjust the 3/4 nut. The correct setting is when you push the feed up dial back (away from the operator) the needle will rotate clockwise. When you release the dial the needle will come back counter clockwise and should stop just off zero at about 8 o'clock on the dial.

A couple of pics of the progress

She might not have the sexy lines or the cache of an old lathe but I love her none the less. :D

!B89ufmQBGk~$(KGrHqUOKjsEzJhDOSssBM4b-(Qmd!~~_12.jpg

Before

hone 001.jpg

After a little TLC

hone 003.jpg

Bill,
It looks great! Is it spinning under power? Didn't get to your question fast enough. Gappmanst had you covered.

Gappmast,
What's the deal? You know the older Sunnen hones. That's nice. Did I read that you rep for them? Who has a monster 'boneyard' of older Sunnen hones in the US? There must be someone!

Thanks,
Carl

Not quite Carl. Need to finish sanding and painting the base and I will all ready to juice her up and put it to work. :cool:

Back