What's new
What's new

Looking for a balancing arbor for 1 ¼" wheels

rimcanyon

Diamond
I am looking for a balancing arbor to fit 1 ¼" wheels. The grinder is a Harig 612, and the taper is .7" to 1" dia. in 1.3" length. MSC sells an arbor for 1 ¼" wheels made by Sopko, but the problem is they do not give any information on the taper. Are 1 ¼" arbor tapers all the same, or do they differ depending on the make of the grinder?

What you need is a balancing arbor for your particular hub, not for 1-1/4" wheels.
Believe the Harig is considered "standard taper" amongst most surface grinders that size (there are a lot of different tapers available for grinders/wheels/hubs), suggest calling SOPKO direct, they are great to deal with.

Last edited:
I am looking for a balancing arbor to fit 1 ¼" wheels. The grinder is a Harig 612, and the taper is .7" to 1" dia. in 1.3" length. MSC sells an arbor for 1 ¼" wheels made by Sopko, but the problem is they do not give any information on the taper. Are 1 ¼" arbor tapers all the same, or do they differ depending on the make of the grinder?

Check the hubs but the taper diameter is probably this:

William Sopko & Sons Co., Inc - Standard Taper Wheel Adapters

Harig 612 and 618 are 3.00 taper per foot and 1 inch back opening,
As are almost all other surface grinders in the 6 to 8 inch wheel range.
I say almost as I bought a made in China 6x18 and although it included a balance arbor, knife edge stand and 5 nice balancing adapters it a bastard taper.
I yanked the spindle and put in one of my spare Harig ones so my wheels would interchange with my other grinders.

If working with normal width wheels on this grinder I find balancing to be of very little help vs time spent.
Dress the sides and keep the wheel mounted.
I use only Sopko hubs and the balancing ones are rather pricey.

Someone here had devised a I think I-phone application or some sort that would allow you to balance on the machine.
A long time back I would start the spindle, let it stop and mark the stop point. Do this ten times and you get a grouping so remove a tad with a drill and do again until a 360 spread.
I thought this would make better finish as now balancing not only the wheel but the spindle also as a assembly.

All of my spindles have some runout so the high point is marked and all mounted wheels get a corresponding mark so to get remounted on each as close to zero as possible.
Bob

I may end up making my own arbor. MSC wants around $300 for one (Sopko 52273, and all the arbors I found on Ebay are for larger tapers. The Anderson Bros. balancing stand I have came with two arbors, one that is 1.75" at the large end of the taper, the other 2" at the large end. They are available for trade for the small arbor I need.

Back