What's new
What's new

Looking for a better bead blast handle and nozzle setup

laminar-flow

Stainless
Last year I bought a Snap-On bead blaster locally that was filled with a medium heavy sand. After using it a bit we switched over to a fine-medium bead and while the finish was much better, (for matte anodizing mainly), the blasting performance was still poor as it slurped up the beads in periods of .5 to 1 second. My question is, would a higher quality handle and nozzle improve this? The current handle is original with a finger valve and quite large nozzle. The tube going down to the bead reservoir is .5" ID. I'm thinking a smaller tube and handle would be better.

We mainly blast for finish on new aluminum parts, no rusty large steel parts.

Any recommendations?

Siphon feeds can be very touchy on how well they work. Make sure your gun has no leaks anywhere. Even the pickup tube design can make a big difference. I've always used between 55-75 psi for siphon blasting. You can get by with lower settings using pressure pots.

Siphon blasting nozzles are generally selected size wise to match the abilities of your compressor. Small compressor, small nozzle etc.

Here's a link to a pickup tube and gun. I'm still using a cabinet I home built 20 odd years ago from the kit they show on this page. Regardless, a good website for blasting stuff and other related items. You might find some alternate tips for your gun too.

Trigger-Operated Build-Your-Own Cabinet Kit for Abrasive Blasting Cabinets - TP Tools & Equipment

Last edited:
Some times you need an air bleed in the pickup hose to allow a little are into the hose to help the beads move.
Zero guns are generally touted as the best siphon guns. They don't make a hand trigger though, you need a foot pedal or else a ball valve. I have a Zero cabinet with the original gun from 40 years ago and it's still working excellent, Tar Heel parts is a good place to get one and they can also give you good advice. Zero Gun W/Out Nozzle

– Tar Heel Parts, Inc

I made a new pickup for my siphon blaster before I got a pressure pot. It made a night and day difference. Mine looks just like this one. 6442-04_R_191a813e.jpg

Back