Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

tarry and bump is a nice feature if needing close size shoulder work often. Good to measure the table pivot to to an indicator set to table so you can figure the jo block off set to set a taper quickly. Yes you may not get exact but will get close.

Don't know that much about newer machine models but liked oil bearing for OD finish and ball bearing spindles for shoulder work.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So far we leveled and hooked up power, air, and all coolant lines. Toyoda tech is coming Tuesday.

img_0840.jpgimg_0839.jpg

3. Likes B-Mathews liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Taper grinding using cnc x-y geared motion

Hello MariTool:
    Is it possible to grind tapers by forming the taper on the grinding wheel and using a coordinated x-y motion of the wheel head and table ? This would permit the table to be set at the zero position and would allow the grinding wheel to face the flange and taper of a tool holder simultaneously without rotating the wheelhead. There is nothing I can see preventing this from working except a possible loss in accuracy compared to the old school approach of offsetting the table to the taper angle .

Thanks, Robert

5. Likes fmari --MariTool- liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes,
    That is exactly what we are doing. We are forming the angle on the wheel. We are plunge grinding and then traverse grinding the taper. The table is set straight and the machine is interpolating the taper. The table and wheel head ride on hydrastatic ways and the servos have less than 10 millionths resolution, so accuracy is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice machine!
    Great to see the machines that makes our toolholders.

Any chance you could take a closeup photo of the scraping on the table? Just curious to see their pattern.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is the top of the table, tailstock side. Hope this helps.

img_0946.jpgimg_0945.jpg

9. Likes NateA2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a nice looking machine. I hope it is working out well for you.

11. Likes fmari --MariTool- liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I came across this old thread. Wondering what kind of problems you had with the Kellenberger? I run a Kel-Vista now and I hate it. The i.d. spindle has been in need of rebuild 4 times in 5 years. No one can figure out why. I grind very slowly only taking off .001 at a time and then dressing. I used to have hair when I started working here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny timing. 2nd cnc cylindrical grinder should be in our shop in April. With ID grinding capability.

Agrinder, what is the brand of the id grider? Fischer or is it made by Kel-Vista? How many rpms?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kellenberger Kel-vista UR 175/1000. The i.d. spindle is a Renaud. 28000 max rpm. I grind mostly inconel about .010 stock removal. I don't know if the load is just to much for the spindle or what I might be doing wrong. Everytime the spindle is rebuilt they say that they found contamination inside. No one can seem to figure out where that is coming from. There is an airline that go into the spindle so perhaps its come from inadequate air filtration. I used to run a Toyoda Select G for 10 years. I loved that machine. Very easy to set up and accurate as hell. I've only been i.d. grinding for about four years. I'm an o.d. grinder. Came to this shop and had to learn as I went. About 95% of what I do now is i.d.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agrinder,
    Any experience grinding 1/8" id. Thats one of the first jobs on the new machine. Thats why I went with the 60,000 rpms spindle. Which is still very slow. Should be 120,000 rpms at least.

But I am currently getting away with 30,000 rpms so 60 will be a nice upgrade.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The parts we grind here are anywhere from .750 to 4.00". One part I run, I have to use a .500 wheel on a 4" long quill to grind a two inch diameter. I have to get around a boss in the middle. That one is loads of fun. I think the machine is a good one but it's not really tailored for the jobs we do here. Would have been better of with separate i.d. and o.d. machines I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kellenberger been a good machine but not great. That kind of money it should be great. I have put a lube pump motor in it. I had to put a new broad in it. Fanuc power supply in it and a fanuc servo drive. 3 proximity sensors for the x z and the lifting of the head. I just did the spindle bearing this winter and I think that the Vacon Drive is going bad.

I can't help you with the ID spindle because I have only used my ID spindle 3 times in 11 years. The spindles are a little on the small side compared to the spindles on the Bryant ID or a Redhead. I don't think they are made for production.

I would never buy a combination machine like the Kellenberger again. I would buy a OD grind and a ID grinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What brand of machine did you get this time?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Studer. The FavoritCNC model. Has the scales option for both axis and dynamic wheel balancing and gap elimination.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We've had plenty of problems here as well. Rebuilt i.d. spindle 4 times, replaced servos on both axis, replaced the motor in the wheelhead, and last year replaced the ball screw on the y axis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AGRINDER View Post
    We've had plenty of problems here as well. Rebuilt i.d. spindle 4 times, replaced servos on both axis, replaced the motor in the wheelhead, and last year replaced the ball screw on the y axis.
    You mentioned contamination found in the bearings, did they do an analysis of the material to figure out where it might have come from? And inline filters for air systems are available to to low micron levels, has one been added?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not the one that deals with the vendor. I have asked my boss but only get an answer of that it looks like water. Coolant? Water from air line? Is there any grit in there? I don't know. If we cant pinpoint exactly what is getting in there, we will never figure it out. It's frustrating as hell because I'm the one who has to try to make precision parts, in an efficient manner, on a shoddy spindle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AGRINDER,

What brands do you use for your id grinding wheels?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We use Norton.