What's new
What's new

Looking for Thompson manual surface grinder information

Mr.M

Cast Iron
I have bought at an auction a Thompson 6x18 surface grinder and I am looking for some information on it. (Hopefully before I pick it up in a few days) I have been searching but cannot find much on the models Thompson made. The SN starts with D and then 6 digits (D-######) I'd like to see if I can find out how to best move it and it's age. I am renting a drop deck to haul it home with as that worked great with my mill.

I picked up a Thompson 6x18 last year, to move/load forks under the machine worked just fine. Its a heavy sucker, iirc about 4000 lbs, serial# on mine starts with an F, and War Production Board tag means its early 40's vintage.

I picked up a Thompson 6x18 last year, to move/load forks under the machine worked just fine. Its a heavy sucker, iirc about 4000 lbs, serial# on mine starts with an F, and War Production Board tag means its early 40's vintage.

Any chance you got this from a metal stamping house in San Marcos? Apologies to the OP for going OT.

Did you use to run one in San Marcos? I'm not sure there is a metal stamping place in town, there is aerospace mfr north of town, plastic injectors in town, and National Oilfield used to have a place on south end of town. Maybe Steller?

OP, I just looked thru my manual, do not see a listed weight, I did not weigh mine, 5K forklift handled it. If you use a forklift and approach from front of machine, throw a 4x4 or 2 between machine and lift so if it decides to slide on forks it does not take out handwheels. If moving far, or on rough ground, you might want to throw a strap around it so it does not slide left or right. Left side of machine (column side)is heavier than right, that is direction it will most likely slide to.

Did you use to run one in San Marcos? I'm not sure there is a metal stamping place in town, there is aerospace mfr north of town, plastic injectors in town, and National Oilfield used to have a place on south end of town. Maybe Steller?

-Parkview Metal Stamping, right off I-35, just south of the 123 exit. Worked there in mid to late 1990's while living in Lockhart and Bastrop. Yes, ran a couple of the Thompson grinders there. Miss the BBQ in the area.

Apologies once again to the OP for going OT.

Thanks folks! Mike, I'll send you a PM for the manual. I have prybars and pipes ready for rolling it along to unload it. Do these have rollers on the tables or can I leave the table mounted when transporting it?

It should be easy to look under the long travel and see there are ,or are not scraped ways.
if model D I think it has ball ways,
Good to wrap it up so not to lose any fall-off parts.

If a scraped table be sure to set travel locks or table may slide right off.
if no lockd tie it some how.
set the down travel to place the wheel on a piece of wood on the chuck so down travel nut is free..

It should be easy to look under the long travel and see there are ,or are not scraped ways.
if model D I think it has ball ways,
Good to wrap it up so not to lose any fall-off parts.

And if it is ball ways it should be fully removed for transportation, correct? It seems like it won't be that difficult to do, but if it can be blocked in place I'd be all over that ��

Many newer machines you just lift the table and disconnect the travel strap..but the old iron machines many have a catch part that need be removed, often one at each end..so look it over good and don't break anything.

Most guy suggest taking off a ball or roller table..new machines they do that for sure.

I just bought a 4x10 Model D and was wondering if you were able to find any documentation. I really would like a maintenance manual with an exploded view, that didn't cost me $98.

Thanks very much for the information. Unfortunately, the Model F is significantly different from the Model D and I cant' make too much use of the information in the manual.

Back