Magerle Surface Grinder
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Magerle Surface Grinder

Anyone know anything about a Magerle Surface Grinder like this one?

http://www.cybrcnc.com/Magerle%20Grinder.jpg

It's been sitting unused for a couple years but look to be in pretty good shape. It appears to have automatic X and Y feed as well as downfeed that seems to be controlled or limited with a dial indicator. I can see a dresser mounted on top of the wheel, but it appears to have been bent over. It comes with several premounted grinding wheels, which is what interests me. We couldn't find any extra arbors for our G & L and remounting, balancing and truing the wheels all the time is a PITA.

I can find these in Europe, but they don't seem to be really common on this side of the pond.

Curiously,

Stu

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Magerle is now part of universal grinding. They are now the heavy duty creep feed grinders.

Grinding.com: Your #1 Source for CNC Grinding Solutions - Grinding.com

I saw one in action once at the Norton R&D center, it was a very impressive machine.

As far as the one you are looking at-just from the looks of it it looks build heavy duty!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to run a Magerle with the crush grind setup over the wheel great machine the beast was OLD! and still worked great. ours was never rebuilt but it would be a very worthy canadate for a rebuild. the cross feed is set with trip dogs, they are on the left most "drum" on the front of the machine the trip dogs are pained green, and a pick feed arangement. The down feed is stoped by a limit switch set with a micrometer. Theres a shinny hand wheel just visable off the right side of the wheel guard, thats the down feed hand wheel. what looks "bent over" is the coolant valve ... it comes out at an angle on the one I ran. the dresser, from the pic anyhow looks like its as I remember it.
    Cheers Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We Had two of them at the GM willow run plant. Never ran them but did study them. Were a high quality Swiss built machine tool.
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like this Magerle F7 has found it's way back to our shop. It came with 23 wheels already mounted and balanced on arbors, and a han dfull of extra wheels.

I haven't powered it up yet, and everything looks pretty clean except for the life of me, I can't figure out how the cross slide is moved manually. Is it possible that the cross travel is hydraulic and the pumps need to be running to allow it to work? all our other grinders use a mechanical screw of some sort to move the cross slide. Cranking the cross feed handle appears to not engage anything. Any ideas would be most welcomed.

Sure is a heavy beast, definately heavier than our G & L that has larger travels. Getting it out of the shop with limited access was an interesting challenge requiring some custom made skates, pry bars, a toe jack, a rock crawler with a stout winch, and a large tow truck. We had to dissasemble part of the wall of the shop just to get it out.

6. Likes jCandlish liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats pretty cool you got this machine.

Somthing different that not every other shop has.

I would suggest a to remove the table and saddle and clean everything up best you can. Make sure all your lube lines are working.

Good luck getting it running,

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This grinder looks just like my type F-10-R and they are a well built unit. I,ve replaced the variable dc drive with a three phase ac fixed RPM as I do not use it as intended, but just to do a finish grind on a large load of small parts. the only problem I've had is with getting the head balanced out with the much lighter motor so as to keep the backlash out of the downfeed.

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

... haven't powered it up yet, and everything looks pretty clean except for the life of me, I can't figure out how the cross slide is moved manually. Is it possible that the cross travel is hydraulic and the pumps need to be running to allow it to work?
    It probably does not need powered up to work manually, but it might need powered up to get a sticky half nut to drop in or conversely to open the spools so it can be cranked easily, if it was out when last run. Not at all the same machine, but my 1030 DoALL can be like that. Is there a mushroom knob or small lever on top of the apron to actuate?

smt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if youre still watching this post but to use the cross slide in manual, run it all the way out with the hydraulic then around back is a dog that you have to lock in place. other wise the lead screw will just spin the hydraulic piston!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By the way don't forget to release it before using the hydaulic or who knows what will break first!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWag View Post
    I don't know if youre still watching this post but to use the cross slide in manual, run it all the way out with the hydraulic then around back is a dog that you have to lock in place. other wise the lead screw will just spin the hydraulic piston!

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Day-em!
    You mean on a high end grinder like that it does not drop out automatically when the hydraulic is engaged!?!

smt, feeling rather fond of the DoALL arrangement at the moment.