What's new
What's new

Magnetic chuck strength?

bsg

Titanium
I bought a 12" x 12" x 6" Suburban compound magnetic sine plate, weighs around 200 + lbs.?
My question, can I use the magnet to hold a steel plate with a swivel eyebolt to be able to pick this up, and what size plate?

What do you guy's use to move these around the shop?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kevin

I picked this sine plate up yesterday, I used a 6" square plate with an eyebolt, the force of the magnet was enough for lifting!

Thanks for the replies.....

Kevin

See you got it sorted. One thing we used to do when lifitng questionable size plates with a magnet was to lift it 1/2-1" high and give it a couple wacks with a deadblow, if it held it was good. :)

One thing that might be captain obvious is never get any body parts under what you are lifting (even if you are *sure* it is solid)!!

See you got it sorted. One thing we used to do when lifitng questionable size plates with a magnet was to lift it 1/2-1" high and give it a couple wacks with a deadblow, if it held it was good. :)

One thing that might be captain obvious is never get any body parts under what you are lifting (even if you are *sure* it is solid)!!

Yeah, that's what we did.....we also only raised it high enough to transport, then raised it to where it was needed!

Kevin

-Shock test w/dead-blow and minimal air gap is my last test before going further. I also use a magic marker to make pairs of alignment marks on mating components. The magnet may not let go but does it allow things to side? Just a suggestion.

-Shock test w/dead-blow and minimal air gap is my last test before going further. I also use a magic marker to make pairs of alignment marks on mating components. The magnet may not let go but does it allow things to side? Just a suggestion.

I will keep that in mind next time I need to move it, it didn't look like it shifted?

Also, I'm going to call Suburban and try and get a manual/parts diagram and will ask about mag strength, maybe see what they recommend for moving the plate?

Thanks again for the replies!

Kevin

I will keep that in mind next time I need to move it, it didn't look like it shifted?

"For future reference.." Various plastic or bamboo, not take-away softwood Chopsticks. Bamboo skewers from the BBQ and kebab stash in the kitchen cupboard.

Fair reliable at being non-magnetic, not easily split nor crushed. Handy sizes for enough height to get straps under it and secure them safely for a move.

Sticks again at set-down location for clearing to get straps out and off.

And then. Yer magnet lift - or pry lever - to get the sticks out is a very low gap so IF sumthin' DOES drop? It ain't ever by very much.

I'm sure we all do similar stuff all the time with metal, plastic, scrap plywood, etc.

I just happen to live in houses with more spare chopsticks and bamboo slivers than the average "Gweilo!" ....and find them HANDY, so stash a few in the shop tool-drawer.

Kinda cheating to put greasy ones back in the Kitchen anyway!

:D

After looking at the table and thinking about it a bit, I'm going to fab a bracket and hook arrangement that can be bolted to the table for safe lifting!

Kevin

Have a look at "beam tongs" and lifting tongs in general. "Bounce" a timber tong, lose the grip.

Beam tong has a positive-grip screw. More general-purpose, gets used a lot.

Even on a "beam"!

:D

I will have a look.....more than likely it will be built just for the table, everything else I have in the shop has it's own lifting bracket or hook!

Kevin

Back