What's new
What's new

Magnetic sine chucks - permanent or electro?

leeko

Stainless
Hi all

I picked up a 6" compound mag sine chuck a while back for a good price, minus the power supply. I've been halfheartedly keeping an eye out for a power supply for it, but I've started wondering if a permanent magnet version would be less hassle.

As I understand it, the main benefit of the electromag chucks is that the magnet can be turned partially on if needed, for example with thinner workpieces to eliminate bowing/flexing.

I run my surface grinder infrequently, and the mag sine chuck is on the shelf "just in case" - I haven't had a need for it yet. I mostly work on small prototype stuff, one-offs etc. Would it make sense to sell the electric chuck and just buy a permanent magnet version, or are there other benefits I'm missing?

Thanks,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Electromagnetic chucks can be stronger in maximum holding strength, but with proper blocking, strength isn't really an issue on permanent magnetic chucks in my experience. Also, many permanent mag chucks can be used at partial strength by just not turning the activation lever all the way to 'on. '

So the one drawback I can think of is a permanent mag chuck needs a separate demagnetizer for the workpieces, while the electronic ones can have demagnetization built in.

No experience with electro sine chucks, have electro flat chuck on one grinder.

Otherwise, have mechanical 6 x 6 sine, 6 x 12 compound sine, and 6 x 18 full swivel/tilting (long axis)
All get used. Sometimes use the 618 tilty on planer with rail & end blocking. Suburban 6 x 6 is weakest of all 3, but all hold fine with normal precautions, set up, and blocking. Observe/consider direction to position tilt, e.g. etc.
Not sure i would want the nuisance of wiring/plugging in electric sine chucks for my use. If you make a product and the chuck stays set up, electric does offer stronger pull as well as option to demagnetize part.

Partial for angled products is probably less a factor than for thin work on a flat chuck, but if so, typing paper can be used between the part and chuck surface during a pre-finish op. Or typical shimming processes including thinner paper and crayon marks. Just observe direction and good blocking.

smt

Thanks everyone for the advice. Sounds like I'd be better off trading the electric chuck for a permanent one. Now, I just have to find one :)

Lee

Fine poles definitely hold thin material better than wider poles.
I would avoid the old, isolated pole models, though again no direct experience.
As noted, the weakest here is a Suburban normal pole 6 x 6 from known good source & or course known quality, in NOS condition when acquired. (& it is certainly adequate).

Love B & S micro-pole flat chuck.

smt

That's good to hear Stephen - I have a 6x18 b&s micromesh chuck for my micromaster, but I haven't needed to mount it yet - there's a 6x12 standard pole b&s on there now...

Some 15 years ago, I bought a brand new Suburban 6" square mag chuck
and I was not happy, as it seemed weak. Interesting to hear the same.

-Doozer

Back