What's new
What's new

Moving a Mitsui 200MH grinder

Grandslam

Plastic
Hey guys,
I just bid and won a Mitsui 200MH. It was bought without an inspection So it was a bit of a crapshoot. The price paid was pretty good though.
I’m picking it up next week (a 9 hour drive each way) and need to get an idea on how to remove the table and (cable drive?). Also, with the table off, I’m thinking that I can block the spindle head to cross column were the table normally rides. I imagine it is all metric hardware and I’ll pack a small to go toolbox with wrenches, sockets, Allen wrenches and assorted hand tools. Is there any special tools I’ll need or any suggestions?

I won’t have time to get a manual befor I leave to pick it up so I’ll be winging it a bit...just don’t want to Fubar anything up.
Thanks folks,
Regards, Richard

Did You buy the one in Fraser Michigan for $2850.. bid spotter auction..Almost bid on that one myself. Why do you wish to move the table?
Is it a ball way machine?
*Yes It Is a ball way machine.. Here is the parts manual
https://innovatetec.com/pdfs/Mitsui-Grinders-Parts-Manual-Handfeed.pdf

Bring plastic and a roll of duck tape https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=plastic+stretch+wrap

*That was a very decent shop I think the machine will be very good.
Bring a couple 4x4 stubs to set the wheel head on. To set a wheel on wood is the drill for that (transporting a surface grinder.) On Most ball way machines you push the table on long travel to expose the lock, then push it back and off..But I don't see the locks in the parts manual..need two guys to lift off the table.

Best route is 75 to 696-696 to Groesbeck - Grosebeck to Kelly ..then drive in off Kelly.

Last edited:
That is the one I Bid on. Thanks for those links and tips. I wonder if the table is held on by gravity.
The grinder is missing the wheel guard so I need to keep an eye out for one.
Thanks Richard

A big danger in moving a ball way grinders
is brinelling the ball ways. I was told to remove the linear ball ways and replace with 1/8” thick plastic. If you leave them in you risk denting the ball ways and risk a life long poor finish.

The cable drive is easy to remove, pull that off first.
Also block the spindle with a soft piece of rubber and a piece of wood. Just direct endgrain wood is quite stiff and could damage the elevation bearing. Do not block directly to the table.
Also do not strap down over the table, grinder tables are noodles.
Great machine, good luck.

When I had my used Mitsui 250MH shipped, the seller took the table off and removed the ball carriers. This was good, as trying to press the table down with the grinder spindle would be a real bad idea. There's nothing holding the table down except the drive cable, as I recall, so bouncing/brinelling during transport is real likely.

Actual lifting of the grinder was no big deal, as the base of the grinder has two sets of holes for lifting rods/pipe to pass through.

One thing you might look for: My Mitsui has a total-loss lubrication system driven by a timed Bijur pump. This system drains into a fairly large sump cast into the base. If the sump is even fractionally full, the used oil is going to slosh around during transport and make a huge mess. DAMHIKT. :bawling:

Last edited:
That is what PM is about, professional discussion about a needed subject.

Start this thread and likely one of the pm guys/galls will give assistance/advice.

*Removing the table from a Mitsui 200MH surface grinder advice needed.*

Plus call the auction shop and ask about the wheel guard. Likely is on a bench.

IMHO table should be taken off, balls individually wrapped in paper towel and set in a container. Grinding wheel lowered to set on wood so wheel head weight is off vertical nut. Likely with the table off and adding the thickness of the chuck perhaps two 4x4s tow nailed together would fill that space so setting on the machine casting not the lower ball racks.. Machine tight wrapped in plastic. Bugs and grit fill a machine not wrapped..Bring a wood saw/ there is a lowes west on 15 mile road if you need to cut cribbing.

For reassembly I wipe the balls with spindle oil and carefully put it back together. Most that I have assembled needed to push the long travel a few inches past normal travel so the locking device could be put place, perhaps so making the balls slide rather that roll for that few inches. But I have not tore down or reassembled the Mitsui so advice from someone who has done so would be desirable.

Many say Oil on balls collects grinding dust, that is why I use spindle oil it is thinner and evaporates in time..

I have careful moved ball-way machines with not taking balls out but only on a selected route and able to go very slow over any bumps..*Traveling with balls in is not the best way/can damage the machine.

Failing to be sure you might give these guys a call, likely they will help.
Mitsui High-tec Inc. | Perseo Erie

*Guess you could private message me so I would have your name and bid number and I could go by the shop and ask about the wheel guard.

Qt sfriedberg: [There's nothing holding the table down except the drive cable, as I recall,} Perhaps that is true?

Last edited:
Advice from above postings is what I did when I brought my 200M back. I can't remember the disassembly procedure for the table other than it's fairly straightforward cable arrangement and two men to lift the table off without bumping/banging the balls on the ways. Plastic wrap for everything is indeed good but you're going to want to do a thorough cleaning off of past duties when it gets home regardless of what it picks up in transit. While it's still apart check all oil lines for flow, mine were partially clogged. Previous post about oil in the drain sump was correct, I had The Black Lagoon in mine. Have used several on the job, it's a good surface grinder. Take your time with disassembly/cleaning/re-assembly and enjoy your new purchase before it even goes into service. Congratulations.

Michigan, I sent a PM your way.
Thanks so much for the information, it will sure help when I move it. Looking forward to getting it cleaned up and tuned.

Did not get PM (private message)

Do make that new thread.....Not needed table just lifts off
Send another message...now. I could go there and look for the wheel guard..(as sfriedberg said)

Buck

Last edited:
Machine looks near perfect / spindle and long travel smooth as silk. Table lifts with no locks but yes you will have to unhook the travel cable..overall looks good but could use paint to make it look new.

Seems my messages don't work today but did work yesterday.

Buck, thanks so much for going over and looking for the wheel guard and checking out the grinder. Very kind of you. I’ll give you a call when I leave TN
Regards, Richard

The table balls are 5/8 dia==exactly. The balls are in a phenolic? linear cage and the balls of each track can be removed together.

The factory ships the grinder with the table in place but the balls are replaced by hard rubber shafts that are 11/16 dia. That is 1/16 inch larger than the balls. each track has 3 shafts about 4 inches long.

I purchased a set of balls and races from Mitsui, one for each vee, for about $500. When the balls are cleaned up you may see some scuffing/scratching. Mc master has high precision hardened 5/8 did balls and you can replace them yourself.

Lost in la

PS.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...g-200mh-needs-repair-314136/?highlight=mitsui

Thanks for all the advice folks. Getting excited...will be leaving east TN, for Michigan Monday morning to pickup the mill.
Regards, Richard

Note: from Lost in la thread:
QT La: [Been having trouble wrapping the cable so it stays in the grooves. It wraps around the drum 4 or 5 times but the cable will jump the groove and lay against the adjacent wrap. One of the issues is that the cable is used and it came with several slight humps in it. It is bowed up about 1/16 of an inch for about 2 inches long. We pull the cable taught by hand. Perhaps we need to use weights to keep the tension the same while we work on it.]

Looks like it may be a good idea to catch the cable end when you remove/lift the table.. and hold it tight somehow so it does not go slack and come out of groves.. I'm thinking perhaps bent claw like piece of stock that might have a saw cut V to catch the cable end and the other side/end of the stock a hole to hook a bungee strap/chord.. and a rope to tie it to something..perhaps a C clamp.

Perhaps just some soft wire to tie to the cable end and make a loop for the bungee to hook.

I have a machine with a cable and wrap, with the cable fixed at one end of the table and the other end over a very hard spring..The spring is hard enough to move the table long travel, and keeps the cable tight.

OT: A handy trick with a ball way machine long travel is to put a pulley at one end on a bar, then attach a weight and cable to draw the table into a wheel..You start the grind with a delicate feel then let the machine run itself right through the part. Yes good for certain cut off jobs.

The factory ships the grinder with the table in place but the balls are replaced by hard rubber shafts that are 11/16 dia. That is 1/16 inch larger than the balls.
Ordinary wood dowels 5/8 or 3/4 will work, oiled preferably. This is a fine transport technique, but on the Mitsui, I would not use the dowels without reattaching the cable drive and using the drive lock clamp. Or, provide some other means to positively secure the table both up/down and right/left.

Gravity and a little down pressure from the long travel cables..along with a flip lever that swings in place/center to provide the end stops a bump to stop upon. Once off there is no reason to replace the table if can be safely transported off the machine.
Put back on it would have to be secured so it might not bounce off.

Armed with the good advice received here I’m leaving eastTN in the morning for Michigan. Regarding transportation, I plan on removing the table, removing the balls and wrapping them in paper towels and individually putting them separately in egg cartons. The table will be placed on padding’s in the van. Then the machine will be shrink wrapped and lashed down. Wish me luck.
MB, I’ll give you a call tomorrow when I’m on the road.
Thanks guys.
Regards, Richard

Back