What's new
What's new

Manual surface grinder recommendations

matt_d77

Aluminum
Our old Bridgeport 6X18 manual surface grinder died and I'm curious if anyone has purchased a similar size manual grinder recently to give me some recommendations. We're a tool and die shop so we grind a lot of tool steels (mostly A2, D2, & M2) in both hard and soft state so I'm looking for something with good rigidity. Unfortunately, most of the manufactures that I have had personal experience with in the past are either out of business or have been bought out by other companies. We're currently looking at Clausing and Sharp. Thanks!

Last edited:
For someone who does a lot of grinding, I'd certainly be looking at hydraulic power tables. Such a timesaver! And used doesn't cost a lot more.

I've used DoAll, Harig, and Elliott (England). All good in my book, although parts/support for the Elliott is unheard of on this side of the pond.

Just to clarify, We already have a large Clausing automatic grinder and a smaller Brown and Sharp automatic, but they don't always work well for spin grinding and grinding up to a shoulder because it's too hard to see where you're at and control the cross feed location. I've used Do-All at the old shop that I ran, but I've been told that they are no longer in business. Also, I'd love to buy a new Micro-master Brown and Sharp, but again have been told they're no longer making machine tools. The grinder that I'm replacing isn't actually dead, but the spindle bearings are shot and the machine is 40+ years old so it doesn't owe us anything and we have it in our budget to buy a new one. Thanks for all of the input!

Another big +1 for the Mitsui. They also can be had with a fine feed option on Z and Y that is .00005" per division. The .00005 attachment goes between the hand-wheel and the saddle of the machine.
We have 5 of them ( down from 8 ), with one devoted to carbide die sections and I love 'em.
I've used KO Lee, Harig, Do-All, Taft-Pierce and a couple of others and I genuinely like the Mitsui best.
We grind a lot of D2 and CPM10v with a bit of A2 in the mix and have no trouble holding a tenth with dials only.

QT William Ward: [I've used KO Lee]
What do you think of the new KO Lee Surface grinders,

Mitsui..[feed option on Z and Y that is .00005"] That is cool I'm thinking about a job where I could use that. Are you doing work to 50 millionths.

(QT William Ward: [I've used KO Lee]
What do you think of the new KO Lee Surface grinders,)

Michiganbuck I haven't seen them so I don't know. I guess I'll have to look.
As far as the 50 millionths, we are not exactly working to that tolerance but that feature makes hitting the nominal on a +/- .0001 tolerance almost as easy as hitting +/- .001

A GOOD used Reid works well for spin work but my grinder of choice is a Parker Majestic 2Z. It is much more comfortable using a downfeed handle close to your waist compared to above your head.

Back