What's new
What's new

Manuals and related for a 1974 Jones & Shipman 540P

sejohnso

Plastic
Hi,
I was fortunate to find J&S 540P that has not been used in almost 20 years. Machine is in pretty good shape with little wear on the ways. I don't want to really use it until I can verify the hydraulics, mainly the way lubrication system is working correctly.
I've just rewired it with 3x VFD's and added a safety circuit.

I'm hoping to see if someone may have both a parts and operators/service manual for this era model. My model appears to have been manufactured in 1974 and does not have the flow adjustment located in the table speed flow control handle (like newer models). my machine has an access cover just under the table traverse valve that I am assuming is a flow control but until I'm 100% sure I'm not touching it.

Also,
I did contact Hardinge and was shocked on the quoted prices for manuals and parts. Hoping someone might be able to help point me where to get parts elsewhere that are not ridiculously priced.
I plan to pull the table off soon and while in there rebuild the table cylinder and do a few other things. I'm sure seals and related items have deteriorated at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help.
sejohnso

Hi!

I have one almost exactly like Yours, similar vintage. It came from the estate of a toolmaker who bought it in the 70:s sometime. For me it is a great machine, like the bridgeport of surface grinders. It came with several options, central lubrication, horizontal high speed spindle, a Philips filtrator, the vertical spindle and the diaform which I never used so far. I think mine is the AP model, not sure of the difference. Limited working height is my only complaint, otherwise I get great results. I have the original manuals. Tony at lathes.co.uk is a good source of manuals and also has an interesting history page for these grinders. For parts, i think the British eBay is best.
Jones and Shipman 540 Surface Grinder Operation & Maintenance Data Pack | store.lathes.co.uk
Jones & Shipman 540 Surface Grinder
I have dealt with Tony previously and is a very satisfied customer of manuals for som of my older machines. Just as an afterthought, perhaps this is obvious, I have been advised NEVER to run the table dry, make sure the oil film has built up under the table slides first by letting the pump run for some time. These machines are somewhat leaky by nature, I have a big oil pan under mine. Also after a longer standstill, the valves have a tendency to stick. Running a while clears up the problem.

Sorry for the late reply.
Thanks for the information! I've also gotten some good help from the folks at Andmar in the UK too. Very pleasant and helpful both for parts and information.
Understand and appreciate your comment regarding table lubrication. I pulled the table off to inspect and clean it and found oil flow takes a bit to get working. If I turn the table speed valve to the fast position it seems to pump acceptably with a constant flow. Slow position however I'm a little concerned it's not flowing, or flowing unacceptibly.
Andmar folks noted that these machines have no adjustments for flow, and if the flow is too high, restrict with an obstruction in the flow channel. They didn't mention how to increase the flow though...
Currently, I'm slowly going through each system and don't want to use the machine much until I'm 100% sure it's running to specifications. Table ways are in very good shape with original way scrapings visible. Don't want to lose the accuracy of the machine because I was stupid.
Question:
Does your manual provide any description to what the adjustment screw is under the domed cover? This is the one located by the table shuttle valve.
I'm struggling to figure it out and don't want to pull the valve block out unless there is an issues.
Any notes to how to adjust way oil flow would help too. Otherwise the manual I have is technically correct. (Basically only missing these two areas).

Thanks in advance.

Way oil flow adjustment: there is a slotted screw under the speed control lever.

From Section 2.2.1.6 of the manual:

To adjust the flow of oil to the slideways proceed as follows:
a) Remove the speed control retaining screw (Fig. . 13.1) and washer followed by the slotted lockscrew
/ (Fig. 13.2).
b) Adjust the slotted screw valve (Fig. 13.3) for the required flow.
c) Replace the lockscrew, retaining screw and washer, and secure lever.
Note Ensure that the hydraulic pump is operating when traversing the machine by hand. Failure to do so will mean that no oil will reach the slides and consequently table movement will become sluggish and serious damage will be caused to the slideways.

Hi,
My machine is slightly different and doesn't have the adjustment in the handle as described. Of course, it's just before this improvement.... Andmar noted there is no adjustment but something restricting the flow somewhere. I'm going to dig in and find it.I assume it's fixed flow control of some sort.
I am still however trying to determine the other adjustment that is under the domed cover on the top right where all the valves are. There is an adjustment screw underneath. I'd love to know what exactly it does.... Any ideas please let me know. Thanks much!
-sejohnso

Back