What's new
What's new

Mattison 400S Grinder Just Arrived.

cash

Titanium
I purchased this machine from a steel mill out east. We have just received in in and my plans are to rebuild for sale on a trade in.

Spindle H.P. is 250 and the table size is 36" x 144".

In the background my Way grinder will come in handy for regrinding the column ways on this machine.

We currently have 2 other machines like this that are in operation.

Attachments

• Mattison 400S Spindle.jpg
    Mattison 400S Spindle.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 765
  • Mattison 400S Table.jpg
    Mattison 400S Table.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 737
  • Mattison 400S Base.jpg
    Mattison 400S Base.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 858
  • Mattison 400S Column.jpg
    Mattison 400S Column.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 728
This is what it looked like assembled. A bit rough but that is no problem for me.

Attachments

• Mattison 400S Grinder.jpg
    Mattison 400S Grinder.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 748
Love all the machines you got in your shop. It is exciting to see kind good work people do in daily basis. You said you are rebuilding the machine. Do you find difuclt to find people that does that kind of rebuilding or did you do it yourself??

We will do the rebuild in house. I will only send out the base and table for machining, I may have to make new ways for the table, I can do that in house. We can do the electrics in house. the spindle, if we decide to rebuild-I may have to bring a guy out of retirement. We have not done one of these gearheads before.

With only the reciprocating table and head feed this is a fairly simple machine to rebuild.

I built my current 42" x 144" machine out of 2 grinders so this one will be easy.

This is a late model one, well relatively. Nice find.

The gearhead spindle is very simple on the inside. Hardest part is getting the grinding head itself to break lose from the spindle shaft. Might take some heat and a porta-power.

Looks like this one still has the through the spindle coolant line in place. Mattison told us to remove ours that was on a 60in. rotary. If you don't keep the spindle tube clean, coolant will back up into the gear box.

The bottom lip seal just below the driven gear and bearing is the trickiest part of re-assembly. Takes some playing around to get it together correctly.

Your going to have a very nice grinder when your done.

I have turned off all our thru spindle coolant-that was not a good idea they had. it would plug up and coolant would get in your top bearings.

Well I have some good news here-just over 1 and a half years of buying this machine I have sold it! From a random linkedin message one of my vendors sent me Iwe started discussions with them thinking they were looking for a surface grinder.

Upon a visit to their facility I found out they were looking for a big 400 just like this one and when they found out I had one this set the stage to get the sale in motion.

The machine will be sent to Dial Industries in Rockford to be completely rebuilt. New electrics, new hydraulics, new lubrication and all the other goodies that go with a project like this.

Why you ask I am not doing it? As of right now I have a lot on my plate and am actually looking to purchase a couple large surface grinders, clean up and flip. Stay tuned for that info!!

Attachments

• Mattison 400s for sale.jpg
    Mattison 400s for sale.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
The rebuild is complete and I just ran this machine off. It was nice to see this grinder ready to go back to work after about 15 years of sitting idle!

Instagram

Good Morning. I have a customer looking for the (12) segment abrasive holder i believe is on the spindle shown in the picture.Would you consider selling it. Thank you, Al Young

Back