What's new
What's new

Mattison 400S under power

How much does it weigh?

Here is my best guess. I bought this machine and it was being stored in the old mattison building. The riggers who had dissassembled it at the Niagara Shear auction totally messed it up and tore absolutly everything apart. It took me 2 months to get it back together with the help of ex mattison guys who actually were the ones who put it together and installed it back in 1981. I was able to handle all parts with a 20T crane.
Base-which was 2 parts and 55' long-50,000lbs.
Column-20,000 lbs.
Spindle-15,000 lbs.
Table 20,000 lbs.
Magnetic Chucks, there are 5 of them at 2,500/chuck.
So to add it all up I estimate this machine weighs between 110,000 and 120,000 lbs.

When steel is rolled you get he black surface that is referred to as decarb. Most people will not accept tool steel in this condition so then come is the larger grinders or mills to remove the decarb and take it to nominal sizes.

I can't argue with someone who may be right, but it seems like your grinder has to weigh substantially MORE than 110K. I've moved in some pretty heavy machines in the last few years- nothing as big as this one however. Just the bed and table for a Devlieg 96 inch jigmil weighed 42,000 pounds, your machine is TWICE as long as that. My Mattison 36 by 120 inch grinder supposedly weighed 85k going over the scales. It looks like a tinker toy compared to yours.

WOW 250 horsepower! I just bought a Mattison rotary grinder with a 100 horsepower motor, and thought wholly smokes , I'm BAD. Just a kid playing with a toy. There's always someone with bigger "toys"! GREAT CLIP of your grinder in action!

Cash:

On a grinder that big is the table on rollers or is it scraped cast iron against scraped cast iron? (with some oil between them)
Todd

Ps: I've never run a grinder that big but I have run a good size blanchard. Don't you just love that moment when you hit the motor start switch and you hear the clunk of the motor starter engaging and then the sound of all that mass of the motor and wheel running up to speed.:drool5:

Looks like turcite, or similar, ways to me. Impressive. I guess when you are selling huge chunks of ground tool steel like that you can afford machines of that size.

Cash:

On a grinder that big is the table on rollers or is it scraped cast iron against scraped cast iron? (with some oil between them)
Todd

Ps: I've never run a grinder that big but I have run a good size blanchard. Don't you just love that moment when you hit the motor start switch and you hear the clunk of the motor starter engaging and then the sound of all that mass of the motor and wheel running up to speed.:drool5:

The ways are cast iron to cast iron. The white that you see are the way covers, they attach on the ends and go under the table.

The other machine that I am in the process of rebuilding will have 300 h.p. I have stalled this 250 h.p. so decided to upsize. Starting it up is nice and the electric company loves us.

That is without a doubt the largest reciprocating table wash grinder I have ever seen! A nice toy, nice shed it lives in too... (yeah we call them wash grinders in Australia)

Sounds like it has PLENTY of grunt for heavy cuts if you can hang on to the job safetly.

Great job on the video, thanks for taking the time to put that together.

I think there is a photo that has done the rounds of a rotary table wash grinder with a massive table at floor height with a Jeep/Hummer parked on it, with the head towering over that...!! Anyone seen it?

Would be great to see video footage of that baby working too. Come on who owns that machine??

I believe Commerce Grinding down south has one of the largest, 300". I remember reading a while back the machine was found in a scrap yard? Sullivan Grinding has the 200" blanchard.

jkilroy:
What your seeing isen't the ways but the way covers.

SIP6A-finally saw a SIP machine.

I was up at Gilman Machine in Grafton, WI. They had one of these machines. I guess it is the most accurate machine in the world and unless you are going to put it in a temp controlled room they will not sell one to you.

Nice toy.

Beautiful work!! The wheel head appears to be perfectly trammed, judging from the scratch pattern. Big machines really make you feel like you are gettin' er done!!

SIP6A-finally saw a SIP machine.

I was up at Gilman Machine in Grafton, WI. They had one of these machines. I guess it is the most accurate machine in the world and unless you are going to put it in a temp controlled room they will not sell one to you.

Nice toy.

Cash - nice little machine ya got there......all I picture is the "grand lighting scene" from National Lampoon's Christmas vacation where the electric meter is spinning like a 4 jaw on a 4000 rpm 10EE and they kick on the nuclear auxillary when Clark turns on the lights....

Our estimator does the videos for our company. It is a hobby of his. He does them for the local H.S. football team and manages their website as well.

Under load when grinding plate I am at 100% motor load. I constantly draw 300A.

WOW! How much reduction from the motor to spindle? Just for info the right face mask will greatly decrease cancer risk for your operator (some may scoff but suggest don't underestimate...). How much weight can you put on the table?

Lucky7

Back