What's new
What's new

Mattison grinder purchase opportunity

bmarsh

Plastic
ok well I have been scanning classifieds for surface grinders in my area and found a small mattison surface grinder (small for a mattison at least!)Every thing is functioning and in decent shape. It will cost me more to pay to have it moved than what I can buy it for. Also I have been thinking about larger wheel cost, electricity to run it compared to a smaller machine etc. I don’t necessarily need the capacity this machine offers but at the same time I suppose it could open the door for larger projects. I’m strongly considering it but think I need a nudge. Anyone want to give me their thoughts one way or the other?

I think they are good machines, but even the newest ones are pretty long in the tooth, and that's not good news for a grinder. It may be cheap to buy, but it will not be cheap to fix. Things like spindle bearings (especially the plain bearings), and wear in the ways may cost much more to fix than the machine is worth.

It depends on the type of work you want to do ,a big machine with a large wheel is great for doing large simple part or loading up with parts to grind the thickness but a smaller toolroom machine is much handier for precision work of a more complex nature.

Contact member CASH. Not only is he intimately familiar with these machines, but has rebuilt a number of them over the years and is at this very moment completely rebuilding 3 very large ones, from the ground up. He is very well suited to give you some information and input.

Every time I've bought equipment hoping to do work I haven't been able to do before, that work never materialized. IMHO, it's a far better strategy to get the work first, then buy the machine. Job it out to somebody else if you can't get the machine quickly enough, but at least you've proven there's work out there.

Things like spindle bearings (especially the plain bearings)

Over 20 years ago former employer Enpro Systems did the change over (from plain) on their 24 X 10 foot. John Painter, then owner, allowed as how that set him back $15K

When you refer to the machine as small I would assume you are talking 14" x 60" or so??

If it "looks" decent and a mid 80's machine or newer it always has potential. Over the wheel wheel dresser is a bonus.

1990's or newer with ballscrews are nice as they make for an easy upgrade to newer CNC control if needed.

Right now we are swapping out out an AB control to a Fanuc control on a machine. When done it will be like new and run circles around some of the other machines that are out there.

I'm not sure of the exact date but she looks like a 50's era machine to me but I honestly have no idea. It does have the over the wheel dresser. The machine is dirty but from what I could see and feel the ways were in good shape and the spindle ran nice and quiet. Cash is there anything you would recommend based on your experience that I examine with a magnifying glass?

IMG_1964.jpg
IMG_1967.jpg

I would definitely test it out before buying. A grinder that is no longer precise enough or a grinder that can't produce the finish requirements must either be rebuilt or sent to the Island of Misfit grinders.

If you want a nice Mattison, Bos machine in Hillsdale, IL was selling theirs recently. I know the guy who rebuilt it. You can be sure it was done right.

Wes, I’m not married to a mattison by no means, this one just happened to be in the local area. I Was kinda hoping it was a diamond in the rough but it doesn’t sound that way based on your guys feed back.

Back