What's new
What's new

Mattison Plano Surface Grinder - fresh out of the box

MattisoNick

Plastic
Just wanted to share these old pictures of the Mattison Plano surface grinder when it first arrived at Chicago Grinding. I'm new to the site, this is my first thread. Thanks to everyone on the site for sharing all your knowledge and experience involving grinding, both machines and process. Practical machinest is a treasure. I've learned a lot here.

IMG_7134_zpsi6kdsifp.jpg.html

Nwhite999's Library | Photobucket

Thanks for posting- that sure is a nice machine since it is so wide. I know a couple years ago they did a control upgrade on it.

The only other "plano" I know that is running is out east at Marena industries, I have been in that shop and the machine is shoehorned in. He has a vertical head on it for way grinding which is nice.

There was a 300" long plano years ago in texas, I can only assumed this was scrapped out as I don't think it sold.

I bought a 96" rotary from you guys a couple years ago. Only thing I have done with it is move it a couple times.........

Soon I will rebuild the spindle so I have a spare for my 400S grinder.

Gates Machine Tool Repair - High Capacity Planers, Mills and Grinders

I wonder if this is the Texas one you referenced. The pic is old and low quality but it looks like a Mattison. I called and spoke with them but the capacity they said they have for Mattison grinding wasn't as large as I assumed it would be if this machine was a Plano. Steve at Dial remembers the Planos being only machines with a bridge. You think it's a Mattison?

You do great work on your rebuilds. Machines look great and I'm sure they run as good as they look. Thanks for sharing. Super clean shop too, rare for grinding.

That 400ss must rip through stock. Is it like the best of both worlds being a reciprocating table with rotary action? Probably saves hella time vs a traditional rotary. We had good intentions on a similar one, 400 I believe, but that machine has been here longer then I. Still sitting. Like your 96 though, one day.......

That gates is a Thompson.

I have not seen a pic of it for years so my guess is by now that meehinite has been melted into something new. Gates posts some pretty good stuff on Linkedin. They have a massive G&L planer mill.

Thank you for your kind words about our machines, yes, we take extra care with them as they are our bread and butter.

My 2 400S grinders plow stock. Both 300 HP machines run 100% motor load all day and night. On good weeks we we will pull out 15,000 to 20,000 lbs of swarf.

I've had several lathe beds reground at your place, did fine work and reasonable cost. You have/had a grinder that was used for lathe beds, but John(?) said it has a quirk of leaving a wash board finish. Tried everything to correct it, but could never find the problem. He asked me that would be a problem to which I said no. Others he would refer to a place in Wisconsin, maybe Cash's place.

I have commended Chicago Grinding to a number of people and still do. You guys are alright.

Tom

I've had several lathe beds reground at your place, did fine work and reasonable cost. You have/had a grinder that was used for lathe beds, but John(?) said it has a quirk of leaving a wash board finish. Tried everything to correct it, but could never find the problem. He asked me that would be a problem to which I said no. Others he would refer to a place in Wisconsin, maybe Cash's place.

I have commended Chicago Grinding to a number of people and still do. You guys are alright.

Tom

Tom, appreciate the recommendation. I'm not sure about the washboard finish you speak of. We don't have any issues putting on a finish currently. We don't have an angle/way grinder either. Must have been before my time.

Back