What's new
What's new

Mattison Surface Grinder Wheel Locking Up

wlavender

Plastic
I have an old Mattison Rotary Surface Grinder that we have been repairing. Now that its fixed, the wheel spins for a while and then its like a clutch or brake locks and it stops then trips out the breaker. Does anyone have any info on what may be messing up? Or a diagram would be helpful

I'm not well versed in that machine but if the spindle is becoming hard to spin by hand as it warms up it may be a bearing preload issue.

Is the amp dial going high as it nears a stall?

Cash is the one to ask about that machine

I know some of the Mattisons have a tapered solid bearing that uses an oil film... That could cause a lockup if the clearance isn't right or if it's running out of oil. Not sure what yours uses, look in the parts diagram or open it up. Check to see what is getting hot and where. If it's tightening up enough to stall the spindle it will be getting hot somewhere.

I know some of the Mattisons have a tapered solid bearing that uses an oil film... That could cause a lockup if the clearance isn't right or if it's running out of oil. Not sure what yours uses, look in the parts diagram or open it up. Check to see what is getting hot and where. If it's tightening up enough to stall the spindle it will be getting hot somewhere.

Our Mattison has 3 "ajusting bolts/lock nuts" on the right of the spindle. If yours does, then it would be the same tapered bearing system. Years ago the lube line from the back of the spindle broke, and caused a simular problem.

Check that the right lubricant is getting to the spindle. I had a Lehmann lathe with bronze spindle bearings. If someone mistakenly put way oil in the oilers it would lock up the spindle, stalling a 10hp motor.

I assume you are talking about the grinding spindle wheel?? there is no clutch or break on the spindle motor itself. My guess is there could be an issue with your starter? do you have a reduced voltage starter? a wye delta style? or maybe a solid state soft start?

The other thing I have run into in the past on one of my machines. Grinding sludge had got in between the rotor and the stator, the spindle top cap had to be removed and this was cleaned out and then we were good.

The bearings on a small mattison rotary, model 24 and 48 are standard ball bearing, on the larger machines it is a timken bearing.

Back