What's new
What's new

More questions about the Brown and Sharpe 510

shapeaholic

Stainless
My B&S 510 came to me in pretty good shape, and I am "slowly" learning....

One thing that is not original is the lever which moves the table right to left.
Is there anyone who has one of these machine who could take a couple of pictures and basic measurements so I could create a replica handle??

Also, it appears that I have a wheel adaptor for a very wide wheel.
Would someone please advise me what I should look for in a wheel adaptor and where would be a good place to look??

Many thanks
Peter

You can zoom in in this eBay to get a look at the lever
Brown & Sharpe N0. 510 Surface Grinder Machine W/ Magnetic Chuck 230V 3 Ph | eBay

A large-width wheel mount can be desirable with just adding a spacer with a 1 1/4 bore and the diameter the same as the rear face to be placed out on the flange nut side, not on the solid flange face side. . The 1 1/4 should be close-fitting, the od not having much error, and the width enough to get down to a 1/2" wheel.
I have seen such spacers made of aluminum, brass, CRS, and hard steel. they should be at least .001 flat or so.
A 46 K through L white aluminum oxide is a decent general-purpose wheel for topping parts, a 60 to 100 l is a good inside corner wheel (but still you don't get a sharp inside corner).

Know to ring test wheels and to look at label RPM to be the maximum speed, always use a blotter even if you have to make on with cereal box material.

Good to not grind the mag chuck until you have some grinding experience and have studied that task.

I don't have mine anymore but here's a picture of it.
You can see that the handle doesn't have the counter weight that most do.
Maybe mine was an early one ?DSCN0002.jpgDSCN0006.jpg

My B&S 510 came to me in pretty good shape, and I am "slowly" learning....

One thing that is not original is the lever which moves the table right to left.
Is there anyone who has one of these machine who could take a couple of pictures and basic measurements so I could create a replica handle??

Also, it appears that I have a wheel adaptor for a very wide wheel.
Would someone please advise me what I should look for in a wheel adaptor and where would be a good place to look??

Many thanks
Peter

I have one and could take some pictures, but the handle is pretty complicated (cast aluminum) and I doubt any aspect of it is very critical other that not interfering with any of the other controls, and having a set screw so you can rotate it to your preferred angle.

7BFC9DED-C49C-46B5-A4DF-8F1D6015E58A.jpg6E394114-1FC7-47FE-9037-3A58CDBE2369.jpg8BFB82DF-9D9A-477E-A979-17E0424E96B0.jpgD1AA036D-434B-45FC-B36A-04D905234895.jpg

Angle of handle is 16degrees relative to machined rear face.

Total length 11.5”
Center to center of handle to pivot 9”
Width of balance section max 4-5/8”

Back