What's new
What's new

Moving a Brown and Sharpe 510 grinder question

shapeaholic

Stainless
I've bought a B&S 510 surface grinder, and am getting ready to move it to my shop.
I have seen in the manual how it is supposed to be lifted, but there is no mention of lifting or otherwise securing the table.
Has anyone here had experience with moving one of these machines? AFAIK it has a rollerway table.

Do I need to remove it? Or will just locking the stops be enough?
I'm not real experienced with grinders, and would hate to spoil a good machine out of ignorance.

Thanks
Pete

I've bought a B&S 510 surface grinder, and am getting ready to move it to my shop.
I have seen in the manual how it is supposed to be lifted, but there is no mention of lifting or otherwise securing the table.
Has anyone here had experience with moving one of these machines? AFAIK it has a rollerway table.

Do I need to remove it? Or will just locking the stops be enough?
I'm not real experienced with grinders, and would hate to spoil a good machine out of ignorance.

Thanks
Pete

I have one of these.

Two major things:

1) take the table off. it is easy-- there are two knurled knobs on either end of the table that attach to the steel ribbon drive cable. Just unscrew them and the table is free to come off. If you don't take it off, the rollers will brinnell the ways. Yes, you could clamp a board under the spindle... but IMHO not worth doing it that way.

But then definitely lower the spindle assembly down onto a block of wood to stabilize it, since that is hanging from the vertical screw (the spindle housing casting, not the wheel or spindle itself!).

2) the upright is ~400lbs and only held in place by the leadscrew and gravity. I would seriously consider either strapping it down so it won't stress or bend the leadscrew. On mine, there are 1/2"-13 threaded holes in the base casting on either side which I plan to use as fixing points with long threaded rod to clamp down the upright when I move it next.

IMG_3123.jpg

Final note: the sheet metal base is held on by 3 bolts. As you know the intended lifting method is in the manual (pipes through the base).

-Phil

Back