Moving a Mitsui 200MH grinder - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Weather forecast for here is rain, spray the machine down with some oil before wrapping for transport. Good luck with the move.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will do, thanks AD

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Success on getting the grinder home. With the gracious help from Michiganbuck (Jim) we were able to remove ,easy peezy job, the table. The grinding wheel was removed and the grinding head was rested on a couple of 4by’s and secured. The weight of the head Was then removed from Y axis nut. He also lent his considerable knowledge and the rest of the grinder stripped of periferals then loaded on the trailer shrink wrapped and tied down.
    The road up I-75 most of the way was in terrible condition and I was concerned about the grinders trip back but needn’t have worried, as the road conditions south bound were fine...just a few pot holes encountered. Now just need to untie everything and get into the shop.
    Once again I want to thank every one, especially Michiganbuck for his gracious unselfish support, thanks Jim!
    Thanks again guys!
    Best wishes, Richard...exhaustively happy
    For their great support. Now the fun part starts

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Easy as pie to remove table. lose/remove a nut at each end of cable, take off mag chuck to reduce weight,Guy at each end lift off table that is about 100Lbs total, or so.

5/8 balls are held in a plastic retainer strips so don't scatter.. yes we wrapped the ball rack sets in paper towels and left the table off the machine for transport.

Looks like anyone owning this machine should take the table off every couple years to clean.

Dust shielding is not very good so a strip of masking tape could/should be added at parting line between moving table and solid part. IMHO.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the tip about dust shielding, michiganbuck. My Mitsui had been used for mold pin cutoff. Judging by the very, very thick layer of grinding debris, for years since the previous cleanup. I got it all cleaned up, including all the lube supply and drain lines, but it was so filthy coming in that I had no idea where stuff might start to accumulate.

6. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another method is to make a shield to go behind the chuck, perhaps 6" tall and 24" long sheet metal to stand behind the chuck..Or what size might fit your kind of grinding, yes along with the tape strip idea. I have been using the tape idea for perhaps 20 year.

Yes If I had a brand new grinder it would stay like new for a very long time.. When I win the lotto..

Looked at a beautiful 1024 Thompson this week that had set for many years.. yes the long travel ways were heavy rust..

Just thinking about the ball racks on the Mitsui, Many say one might put in larger balls// Likely one could raise the lower ball rack and then install smaller balls. Guess I will never know unless I buy one... but yes that has me thinking about buying one with thinking the long travel would be like new after new balls. We used to send out Cincinnati #2 ball racks for grinding. Cincy said we could grind the V .040 and still be hard., then we would shim them back to spc.

Yes I need a new snow machine and a new boat first ...Darn