What's new
What's new

Myford MG12 or "Are my glasse fogged up?"

Martin P

Titanium
There is a Myford MG12 on UK EBay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....6&Category=633&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=1

Uh wow, it sure seems pretty, best one of the old style I've ever even seen a picture of, but I can't really tell for sure. Everything seems so fuzzy and out of focus, so I ask the seller for some additional larger and clearer pictures.
His answer is: "THE PICTURES ARE VERY CLEAR , I HAVE NO MORE CARD SPACE TO TAKE ANYMORE AND DO NOT HAVE A SPARE CARD" (yes, all in caps).

If it is as nice as I imagine, I'd ponder it, but from his mail and his non-existent auction description all the "troll alerts" are ringing. But maybe his pictures are very clear I am just being fuzzy in the brain.

Some of the closeups are downright out of focus but the others seem to be in focus but with very low resolution camera..like from an early cell phone or his daughters Barbie camera.

But I agree, the hints are that the paint at least is in excellent shape.

I'll sell you this one for $16,500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/myford80.jpg
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/myford81.jpg
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/myford82.jpg
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/myford83.jpg
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/myford84.jpg

Funny though, his photos sort of highlight how "stark" mine are...clear but the "setting" sucks... I need a fake brick wall and more "romantic" lighting.....

That thing is totally frigging gorgeous!
And your pictures are always good.
I'd say the effort of taking decent pictures is so minimal, that when someone does not do it, it is reasonable to assume that he is trying to hide something. That assumption has to go into my risk assessment when bidding, so if seller is just a moron, but not a crook, he looses out. Pity, probably a nice machine, though of course in a different price, model year, option league as yours.

I'd say the effort of taking decent pictures is so minimal, that when someone does not do it, it is reasonable to assume that he is trying to hide something. That assumption has to go into my risk assessment when bidding, so if seller is just a moron, but not a crook, he looses out. Pity, probably a nice machine
Yes, it is frustrating as on occassion it turns out the seller is simply a moron and the machine is really nice. But it's a bit rare for morons to end up with nice machines, so the fuzziness, all caps and insistance that "all is clear", plus refusal to try for better pictures has my "beware" meter in the red as well.

Funny about the "no more card space"... like he can't delete the photos on the card that he already has online ?? :nutter:

Not to mention the dates shown on the pictures are over 2 years old !!
That doesn't mean much... even I have taken pictures where I noticed later the date is a year or so off. May just mean he never set his camera date when he bought it....which is pretty likely if he thinks a full "card" is a "problem". :dunce:

I think it's overpriced.

A freind of mine paid £1700 for a manual MG12 and got the internal spindle too. I bought a one owner from new (R.P.E Westcott; MOD rocket research!) MG12-HAC (hydraulic traverse, Auto infeed, Clarifier unit) with both internal spindles for about £2500. That was from a dealer and I was able to vew the machine and necociate free delivery as a returning customer.

MG12HA.jpg

MG12tooling.jpg

I think it's overpriced.

A freind of mine paid £1700 for a manual MG12 and got the internal spindle too. I bought a one owner from new (R.P.E Westcott; MOD rocket research!) MG12-HAC (hydraulic traverse, Auto infeed, Clarifier unit) with both internal spindles for about £2500. That was from a dealer and I was able to vew the machine and necociate free delivery as a returning customer.
The styling and year of manuf make a huge difference in the value of Myford MG 12's and the one that Martin shows appears to be a second generation MG 12, whereas the one you show is a first generation MG12... of which there are hundreds for sale and therefore the sale prices are much less. The second generation and third generation (like mine) are less plentiful, tend to be in better condition, and have greater parts availability from Myford, thus the higher prices.

In Deckel-ville your post would be akin to someone selling a second generation dual dial Deckel FP1 for $5,000 and then someone piping in that they "paid too much" because they bought a first generation lever type Deckel FP1 for $2,000. When in reality the $5,000 one may have been a better buy from a "market value" standpoint.

Having said all that, I am assuming we are comparing Myfords with the same features...but it appears the Martin one does not have power feed on the table, in which case it may be "too much" indeed...esp deducting for "moron seller" factors...

I think the market in the UK is very different and I haven't seen machines fetch anything like the figures seen in the US. I could have had a late 80's machine in pristine condition with the swing down spindle for £4500.

My machine at £2500 was about £1700 more than I planned to spend on a cylindrical grinder. I was looking for a good MG9, or something like the tiny Smart & Brown that was a steal for £200 (I missed out on that by a couple of hours).

I think the market in the UK is very different and I haven't seen machines fetch anything like the figures seen in the US. I could have had a late 80's machine in pristine condition with the swing down spindle for £4500.
It is curious isn't it ? The USA/UK machine tools relationship seems to be the opposite of the USA/Germany machine relationship. In other words, many UK made machines will fetch more in the USA than in the UK, whereas most German made machines fetch more in Germany than in the USA...sometimes much more.

My theory is that the few metalworking UK'ers left are ultra cheapskates when it comes to used machines, perhaps due to a steeper decline of manufacturing. Which is fine, but I only wish you guys would seem more aware of just how screamin your deals are intead of glibbly point out what this or that "ought" to cost. Used machine tools in the USA are often insanely cheap all things considered ...but in the UK, stark raving mad cheap ;)

EVguru, if you want to sell me yours let me know! Also if you of one. I do not mind the older style. I have to keep my eyes open in the UK for this I guess. Some really cheap machinery over there and not too hard to ship to Germany, where I need it.
I can not see "a" price in the US for MG12s. Ebay and dealer prices for these are totally all over the place, more than usually so. I've seen semi nice ones offered for 15k and I almost bought a semi-nice later style one for $4.5k (turned out to have an issue not known to seller once I got there).
I need to watch the UK more.

Please checkout our website www.jubileemactools.com we have the largest stock of used Myford MG12 Grinders, attachments, spares, manuals in the U.K. possibly the world!
You can buy on line, or call me on 00 44 1332 348749
All Ex-Myford employees
Regards,
Andrew Pope
JUBILEE MACHINE TOOLS
Derby
ENGLAND

Back