What's new
What's new

need help with Cincinnati 1260 universal grinder

scraper

Aluminum
We bought a Cincinnati Machines model 1260 universal grinder that was built in 2014. The manuals that came with it absolutely suck. The best that can be said about them is that someone made an effort at translating them. I have contacted Cincinnati Machines about getting someone out here to make sure we got this thing setup right and give us a little training on it. They put us on their list but they say all their service techs are all booked up for the next month. We bought this grinder to mainly run one job one time and we need to be getting started on it and I don't know that we have a month to wait. Do any of you run one of these things and would you be willing to help us out. We know grinding quite well we just don't know this grinder.

When I got my first universal grinder 50 years ago,I taught myself,with the finer details from old books....and after about six months ,I realized that most operators I saw wernt using the machines properly at all.Same with the centreless,lot more difficult to learn than a universal........IMHO,you must realize that everything you turn out will be tapered,its your job to reduce the taper so small it doesnt affect the outcome....Otherwise you will waste most of your time trying to get everything perfectly aligned...which is impossible.Close but not exact.

john.k in Australia- you may have figured out a MANUAL grinder fifty years ago, but a CNC cylindrical grinder is a totally different animal. Easy to figure out the stops and feeds on a manual grinder, but a person needs to know an entirely different system to make a CNC machine do anything. Manuals written in Chinglish, is just one of many pitfalls in buying a used machine. Nothing more aggravating than having a 100k machine that you can't get going because of lack of adequate documentation. OR buying from a dealer that really doesn't know the machine either. Figuring out taper in a part is something you do after you've managed to get the machine to GRIND the part. Chances are you haven't felt the frustration of having a machine that you can hardly get to go home- as in reference return. Someone that KNOWS the machine can say do this or that, and POOF you're off to the races.

OK,you got me there.....but I dont think I would be spending that kind of money on a machine where I had to learn Cantonese/Mandarin before I could operate the machine.Or even begin to learn how to operate the machine.

Its not grinding we are having trouble with. We have been doing od/id and surface grinding for years. We are a machine tool builder and we do all of our own od/id grinding and most of our surface grinding in house. As Brian said we are having trouble with the grinder itself. For example the book talks about if the table has a jerky or not smooth movement to pull a lever on the side of the apron, we cant find that lever and that is all it says about it. Another example is the book says when you push the advance/retract button the wheelhead will back off to whatever clearance distance we have set and then retract to the home position. And likewise when you push it again it will advance to the clearance distance and start feeding to the programed dimension, so far so good, that is basically how our other 2 od/id grinders work. The problem is this, where the book says the advance/retract button is on the control panel, there is nothing there. We cannot find that button. There are a whole lot of things like this about this grinder that are driving us nuts. Now we are messing with it and finding work arounds, but they are time consuming and inefficient and leave a lot of room for operator error, and if this turns out to be the way we have to run this grinder, it just wont be much use to us.

Back