What's new
What's new

Needing Help Identifying Piece of my MG12 Grinder

largede

Plastic
Good afternoon,

This is my first post on this forum but I am in dire need for some assistance. I work as a manufacturing engineer for an electric motors company. I was recently tasked to move facilities and duplicate capabilities. I bought the same equipment running in the other facility. I bought a MyFord MG12 HP. When the operators and I went to check out its performance the operator noticed a missing piece compared to the other facilities grinder. In the photo below is the piece I am trying to find. I contacted Jubilee Machine tool for information and they assured me it is not a product of theirs. Also, all the good ol boys from the other shop can't seem to find it either. Can anyone send me an URL or a name to lead me in a better direction. I have found (I believe) a plausible alternative from Bison centers https://www.smalltools.com/bison-2-mt-ultra-precision-adjustable-live-center-7-567-002/ but I am afraid it will not perform to the same as the one in the photo below.

Adjustable center.jpg

That does not look to be a live center,rather a dead center held in some form of collet. With the drive dog there this must be on the work head which revolves which needs a dead center. A live center is normally used on the foot stock [tail stock] and not normally used in grinder applications anyway.

I was thinking it could be a dead center but I didn't really find anything for adjustable dead centers. The photo is from our other facility and I know it is a dead center because of the pressure lube we have to use in the work piece centers. I usually can find these little odd ball pieces but this one has me thoroughly stomped. There is a drive dog picking up on the rotation work piece motor. Do they make adjustable morse 2 taper collets? or should I be looking for a Morse 2 taper collet and then some adjustable dead center? I feel like the latter would put me in the same bind. I am considering putting out a reward for anyone who can have one shipped to my facility. Oh and of course my boss thinks it should already be solved and me moving on to my next hurdle.

If it is in the headstock it is a live center. However I cannot figure out what it would be for especially in a manufacturing environment where you are creating concentricity, not compensating for lack of it.

That could be handy for taking out that last bit of taper, or adding some. That is the Live/dead center workhead. Spindle can be made to turn with the work, or be locked still, and just the flange turning to drive the dog.

In the pictured application the spindle would be locked, but the shaft in the center is live, to take out the last bit of taper.

I see a listing for Riten Centers being adjustable. Theirs is not as compact but would do the job.

Back