What's new
What's new

New to centerless grinding looking for info

Tupper87

Plastic
Hey everyone, so I need to get some centerless grinding done and was looking for some info. I'm having my parts sent out to be ground. The material is inconel 718. I'm wondering if there is any taper to the part will the grind follow the taper? Will the part come out round? Info would be greatly appreciated.

Depends. Throughfeed grinding produces a cylindrical part. In feed grinding can produces tapers, steps, and other features. Your grind shop is the one to ask.

Centerless grinders don't have much problem with fixing taper. Depending on how much taper (or stock in general) there is to take off the operator might take a rough pass to get all of the parts straight and consistent in diameter. There are so many Cincinnati #2OM grinders out there it's a good bet that will be what your parts are ground on. You can find the manual circa 1960 online I'm sure.

I am also new to centerless grinding. I currently work with a lidkoping 3b. It is a old machine I'm hoping someone has operated one of these in the past. I have trouble with taper on my work piece. The part can be 4 - 5 microns low at the front of the workpiece but consistent from middle to back. I double check my guides and there good. Will this be a dressing fault with the regulating wheel if so could you please tell me what dressing angle should it be on currently I dress the regulating at 1 and a half degrees. If there is anything else you could help me with it would be much appreciated thanks.

The thick ,large page book that came with the Cinci grinders is the best you can get on the process.........the smaller toolbox size books with the grinder dont have much in them ,but the thick book does.....

I am also new to centerless grinding. I currently work with a lidkoping 3b. It is a old machine I'm hoping someone has operated one of these in the past. I have trouble with taper on my work piece. The part can be 4 - 5 microns low at the front of the workpiece but consistent from middle to back. I double check my guides and there good. Will this be a dressing fault with the regulating wheel if so could you please tell me what dressing angle should it be on currently I dress the regulating at 1 and a half degrees. If there is anything else you could help me with it would be much appreciated thanks.

Your dressing angle for the regulating wheel should be the same as the regulating wheel inclination. Are you setting your diamond offset for the regulating wheel dresser? It should be the same as your height above centerline. I have no experience with Likoping machines, mostly Cincinnatti EA no2 and Royal Master. These adjustments should apply to all as far as I know. Do not be afraid to ask. As you are now , I once was. I asked here and got some help. If the Lidkoping manufacturer is still around they may be a source of help, maybe in old literature.
Y

Hi donovan that's great that you have one. And no i use the angle blade for my workpiece to rest on. So the tilt angle for dressing the regulating wheel what is that supposed to be on ? And what height do you set the diamond will this help with taper issues because I'm certain it isn't my guides.

I need to know what size your wheels are, and the diameter of the part or parts you are running and I will calculate the diamond height and part height for you. You should make sure that your blade is straight with the grinding wheel dresser first thing. Then indicate the regulating wheel dresser to the blade. So now we know that the machine is straight. If everything is good let us know and we can go from there.

Back