What's new
What's new

New to me Hybco 1900 with 2100 SB relief grinder

OldRedFord

Aluminum
I've got some questions.

First did I overbuy? I wanted a machine to sharpen end mills and drill bits. Modify the occasional end mill after I figure out what im doing.

Second does the table power feed? I see it has feed stops that are adjustable so I wondered.

I gave $900 and it came with a bunch of tooling and diamond and abrasive wheels.

Attachments

• 1004201936_HDR.jpg
    1004201936_HDR.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 58
Nice looking general purpose T & C grinder, with some desirable tooling/fixtures

First did I overbuy?

Not if you are going to build & modify tools.
If you mean size, it can be astonishing how much area and travel are taken up by a fixture, tilting the wheelhead, and then finding a convenient approach, even for small tools, sometimes. :)

I wanted a machine to sharpen end mills and drill bits.

There are easier fixtures on the surface grinder, generally for this for just duplicating existing geometry. Such as an airbearing fixture. For endwork alone on EM's, there are even simpler surface grinder fixtures. Partly "easier" because they just plop on the magnetic table and can be aligned with simple reference. When not free-handing drill bits, or for making step drills, i tend to use a PC101 fixture, or an RA Tool fixture. However, your bolt-on fixtures may be as convenient once they are familiar to you.

Modify the occasional end mill after I figure out what im doing.

If "modify" has any complexity or includes building from solic, T & C and your relief fixtures could be ideal for this. Capability to orient the wheel head compared with a surface grinder can become a valuable facility.

smt

Back