What's new
What's new

New to me Universal OD/ID Grinder

Themanualguy

Aluminum
Gday all.

I’ve picked up this Universal OD/ID Grinder, and after a good few hours cleaning and getting to know this machine, I’m struggling to find any info on this machine using the manufacturers tag, but all it says is “The Czech Factory of Arms in Prague”
“Factories in Strakonice”

It does have a CZ Logo, on the front of the base above the hydraulic tank sight class, and my research has led me to somewhat learn that CZ was a part of the Skoda branches of factories?

Photos to come of the machine.

I’ve run universal grinders before, and operate roll grinders from time to time at the strip mill I work at, so OD grinding is not new to me, but I’ll be darned if I can find any info on the net about this particular machine, let alone a proper manual, as I want to know what hydraulic and way oils this thing wants, parts diagrams, levelling points etc etc.

A google search of “KUF 250/750” shows a machine that looks just like mine for sale in another country, but that’s all I can find.

Anyone know anything about these machines, or CZ Grinders in general?

It has a Morse taper 4 headstock, Morse 3 tailstock, takes 14” OD wheels.

For the money I paid for it, and the amount of tooling and wheels it came with, I don’t mind a bit of a project to get it running well, and would appreciate any tips and tricks from the more experienced.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
“The Czech Factory of Arms in Prague”
“Factories in Strakonice”

It does have a CZ Logo,

"CZ" is more well-known for firearms. In recent years, automatic pistols, mostly, and rather decent ones at that. Look it up. Česká zbrojovka Uherský Brod nowadays. Earlier times the brothers Josef and František Koucký.

Earlier yet - keeping in mind "Czechoslovakia" was an artificially agglomerated entity, since dissolved, the national arsenal, Česka Zbrojovka (CZ) Praha:

ZB vz. 26 - Wikipedia

The Czechs are serious-good craft folk, never had time, money, nor inclination to waste on a lot of junque, not even when under the USSR's heavy hand.

I'd expect a rather good grinder "back of" that label.

Being "in front of" anything CZ made of the noisier variety could shorten one's whole day!

:)

Wernt these machines imported into the Euro area under the TOS brand name?.......might be a clue to getting an English language instruction book.

CZ may have that. They were an export-oriented economy on machinery & such, even under the USSR. Plenty of English speakers their own and in the customer base. Not just UK. Canada or South Africa the more likely purchasers, actually.

But. they will only have it if... the machine is not so old they no longer have much of anything at all on it. My Alzmetall DP is that way.

Thanks Gents

A mate of mine is into his shooting, and told me about CZ's other manufacturing interests, as we have both been trying to figure out who the heck made this thing!

I thought it may have been TOS, and have tried searching "TOS grinder" etc etc

I also researched many other soviet machine tool makers and their grinders.

But still no luck!

I've sent an email to CZ, but got a mail undeliverable notification.

The 4 main electric motors on the machine are all branded SKODA

Maybe SKODA had a motor shop next door, and that's just what they put on these grinders, cause ya know how them ole' plants are, everything and anything under one (many, quite large) roof(s).

It does indeed appear to be a great machine, with many extras (including a huge set of unknown collets) and I only really need to make a couple wheel hubs, and some ID grinding arbors and I'm ready to go.

Thanks Gents

A mate of mine is into his shooting, and told me about CZ's other manufacturing interests, as we have both been trying to figure out who the heck made this thing!

I thought it may have been TOS, and have tried searching "TOS grinder" etc etc

I also researched many other soviet machine tool makers and their grinders.

But still no luck!

I've sent an email to CZ, but got a mail undeliverable notification.

The 4 main electric motors on the machine are all branded SKODA

Maybe SKODA had a motor shop next door, and that's just what they put on these grinders, cause ya know how them ole' plants are, everything and anything under one (many, quite large) roof(s).

It does indeed appear to be a great machine, with many extras (including a huge set of unknown collets) and I only really need to make a couple wheel hubs, and some ID grinding arbors and I'm ready to go.

Skoda is a fair competent outfit as well. More to that than motors, but the Skoda "Octavia", a Czech-built VW, rated better than a VW, VW. See also live centers for lathes.

And no.. Soviet Bloc, Soviet dominated, but not by choice! These folks were not meant for dull-gray serfdom atall. Artisans and craftfolk of the highest order, rather, art and architecture to reflect that. You've heard the term "Bohemian"? A country, not just a lifestyle. Budvar beer? Licensed to a US firm. Long story on that! Pilsner beer? Their invention as well. Have a look at their history.

Czechoslovakia | History, Map, & Facts | Britannica.com

Better yet, go for a visit! Chances are, you know someone from one or both of the present-day devolved republics already - some right here on PM. Plenty of countries as were always willing to cache a small Czech.

:D

I have a Skoda centre, nice piece of kit.
I “acquired” it from a friendly storeman in trade school.

As for the grinder, well boys I’ll be buggered if I can find any info honestly, I’ll just have to learn as I go.

A 32 weight hydraulic oil with way lube additives will be a good place to start for the main tank and hydraulics.

I’ll replace belts and filters with what I can find down the ol rolling mill stores, our machine shop maintenance man might be of assistance as well for oddball filters and hydraulics.

I may have to peice together a manual my self.

Running a grinder aint rocket science....all you really need to know is what kind of spindle bearings it has........antifriction or plain......Plain will need a bit of knowlege on oils etc,ball or roller ,not a problem....Might even have air bearings like the later Churchills.Still not rocket science,just a matter of finding out before you fire it up......The DC circuit on the motor will be pretty standard,if you understand Ward Leonard systems.

Regarding Skoda motors on a CZ grinder, that's probably for the same reason you see Baldor, Marathon or GE motors on other people's equipment.

Looks like a nice machine.

I've looked all over the work head, can't find any oil drain plugs, and can only really find one hex headed fastener that could possibly be a fill point. More investigation to come.

Wheelhead I know where the fill and drain plugs are, so that's easy.

Now a question, bear with me as I type this so as to paint the picture as you go.

This machine is fitted with the hydraulic quick retract and advance of the wheelhead. Now with this machine not even wired up yet, and no oil in the system, no pump going, nothing - when I rotate the wheelhead handwheel, I am able to increment the wheel towards myself (ie removing stock), but when I rotate the handwheel the other direction it will not wind out (like with a screw) but I can however push the wheelhead back in free slide, until its hits the nut (the more you wind the handwheel out, the more it will slide until it hits the nut)

My question to you is, is the wheelhead under a constant hydraulic pressure that pushes it back against the nut, and when winding in to remove stock, you are using the precision and lead of the nut to advance against the hydraulic pressure that is pushing the wheelhead back - and then when retracting, the pressure pushes the wheelhead backed up against the nut as it winds out? This pressure may not be much at all, just enough to keep the wheelhead "backed against" this nut. A backlash eliminator if you will I guess.

Thanks boys

I d say youre right........a lot of machine hydraulic systems work on the differential principal,which simplifies valving.You only need valving to the head end of a cylinder,for two way operation.....Learn the machine before putting anything in it.,.....Have you figured out what the spindle bearings are?.......The workhead bearings in a lot of machines are grease,so oil in a resorvoir is probably OK.

Yes, the Wheelhead is pushed back by Hydraulics to remove backlash. On my Myford, there is a cable and an 80Lb chunk of iron, that keeps pressure on the feed so no backlash.

Back