Nickel plated diamond wheels
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nickel plated diamond wheels

Hi guys, I have been using a small diamond plated wheel to sharpen my T/C gun drills and its starting to wear out, can't remember where I got it from. So trying to find a supplier in US that makes them and hopefully exports to New Zealand .The one I have is 3"round x .400" wide, code D400-no60290, so any help would be great thanks, Hombrew.357.
    p1030184.jpg,
    p1030185.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you say it's wearing out, do you mean the corners are getting rounded or the diamond is about gone? If it's just the corners you can true it. I used to use a truing device aka diamond wheel dresser that had a small stone and finger brake. You can mount the wheel in a lathe to clean the metal sides if needed as well.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    When you say it's wearing out, do you mean the corners are getting rounded or the diamond is about gone? If it's just the corners you can true it. I used to use a truing device aka diamond wheel dresser that had a small stone and finger brake. You can mount the wheel in a lathe to clean the metal sides if needed as well.
    Not much material left for truing if corners are already "gone" on plated wheel.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reason i brought it up i wasn't sure if it was a thin plating or a thicker layer around the peripheral. I got rather used to truing the face and cleaning the sides due to the rework requiring a sharp radius for the type of work we did.

When i started/ inherited the rework (i was the new guy) there were an abundance of wheels in a sad state that still had usable life just needing attention. I became rather adept at getting all the life out of them. Believe it or not often times the better condition newer wheels were stashed/ hoarded up.

Looked like there's still a fair bit of material on the wheel if my eyes aren't deceiving me.
    Last edited by Hodge; 06-05-2019 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Add info

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are thin plated and can't be redressed, the front and back edge have lost the cut, only the front side is working. I know a company in China, Kosuperhard make them but thought there was one in the U S. Like any grinding tool it eventually wears out so looking for some new ones?, Homebrew.357.
    p1030187.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    They are thin plated and can't be redressed, the front and back edge have lost the cut, only the front side is working. I know a company in China, Kosuperhard make them but thought there was one in the U S. Like any grinding tool it eventually wears out so looking for some new ones?, Homebrew.357.
    p1030187.jpg
    What you call "plating" is more likely the furnace-braze the abrasive is embedded in..

Regardless... they are commodity items, "Consumable", even. Not many dressing cycles there.

Like it or not, China is the primary mass-produced source for affordable ones - including some that are packaged under Japanese, European, or North American branding. Or so some suspect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is there a specific reason you don't want one from Asia? Industrial Tooling in Mt Roskill should be able to source you one, but it will most likely be Asian. As already stated, that's where most of that stuff comes from, regardless of the brand. Also, have you spoken to S&G Abrasives?

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    What you call "plating" is more likely the furnace-braze the abrasive is embedded in..

Regardless... they are commodity items, "Consumable", even. Not many dressing cycles there.

Like it or not, China is the primary mass-produced source for affordable ones - including some that are packaged under Japanese, European, or North American branding. Or so some suspect.
    AFAIK "furnace brazed" is yet different type of grinding wheel and it has some actual "meat" for trueing.

From thinner to thicker:
    Electroplated
    Brazed
    Resin bonded

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know of at least 10 sources who make them in the US but don't know who exports.
    Google "plated diamond grinding" or :"electroplated diamond grinding",
    IMO the best come from here:
    Cranden Diamond Products Ltd
    In the UK and I know they export.
    Bob

10. Likes DavidScott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are probably right they come from Asia, I don`t know where mine came from. I have asked Mt Roskill to see if they can get them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many places will strip and recoat your core if you have not cut through.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use vacuum brazed tools a lot on stone but would not use it for carbide, for that I would use resin bond. They are way more common and work better for what you are doing, IMO. By the way all the vacuum brazed tools of good quality that I know of are single layer, if you dress them you will remove the one layer of diamond. There are still quite a few companies that do vacuum brazed diamond or cbn in north america, don't count it gone.