What's new
What's new

Nickel plated diamond wheels

homebrew.357

Aluminum
Hi guys, I have been using a small diamond plated wheel to sharpen my T/C gun drills and its starting to wear out, can't remember where I got it from. So trying to find a supplier in US that makes them and hopefully exports to New Zealand .The one I have is 3"round x .400" wide, code D400-no60290, so any help would be great thanks, Hombrew.357.
P1030184.jpg,
P1030185.jpg

When you say it's wearing out, do you mean the corners are getting rounded or the diamond is about gone? If it's just the corners you can true it. I used to use a truing device aka diamond wheel dresser that had a small stone and finger brake. You can mount the wheel in a lathe to clean the metal sides if needed as well.

When you say it's wearing out, do you mean the corners are getting rounded or the diamond is about gone? If it's just the corners you can true it. I used to use a truing device aka diamond wheel dresser that had a small stone and finger brake. You can mount the wheel in a lathe to clean the metal sides if needed as well.

Not much material left for truing if corners are already "gone" on plated wheel.

Reason i brought it up i wasn't sure if it was a thin plating or a thicker layer around the peripheral. I got rather used to truing the face and cleaning the sides due to the rework requiring a sharp radius for the type of work we did.

When i started/ inherited the rework (i was the new guy) there were an abundance of wheels in a sad state that still had usable life just needing attention. I became rather adept at getting all the life out of them. Believe it or not often times the better condition newer wheels were stashed/ hoarded up.

Looked like there's still a fair bit of material on the wheel if my eyes aren't deceiving me.

Last edited:
They are thin plated and can't be redressed, the front and back edge have lost the cut, only the front side is working. I know a company in China, Kosuperhard make them but thought there was one in the U S. Like any grinding tool it eventually wears out so looking for some new ones?, Homebrew.357.
P1030187.jpg

They are thin plated and can't be redressed, the front and back edge have lost the cut, only the front side is working. I know a company in China, Kosuperhard make them but thought there was one in the U S. Like any grinding tool it eventually wears out so looking for some new ones?, Homebrew.357.
View attachment 258143

What you call "plating" is more likely the furnace-braze the abrasive is embedded in..

Regardless... they are commodity items, "Consumable", even. Not many dressing cycles there.

Like it or not, China is the primary mass-produced source for affordable ones - including some that are packaged under Japanese, European, or North American branding. Or so some suspect.

Is there a specific reason you don't want one from Asia? Industrial Tooling in Mt Roskill should be able to source you one, but it will most likely be Asian. As already stated, that's where most of that stuff comes from, regardless of the brand. Also, have you spoken to S&G Abrasives?

What you call "plating" is more likely the furnace-braze the abrasive is embedded in..

Regardless... they are commodity items, "Consumable", even. Not many dressing cycles there.

Like it or not, China is the primary mass-produced source for affordable ones - including some that are packaged under Japanese, European, or North American branding. Or so some suspect.

AFAIK "furnace brazed" is yet different type of grinding wheel and it has some actual "meat" for trueing.

From thinner to thicker:
Electroplated
Brazed
Resin bonded

I use vacuum brazed tools a lot on stone but would not use it for carbide, for that I would use resin bond. They are way more common and work better for what you are doing, IMO. By the way all the vacuum brazed tools of good quality that I know of are single layer, if you dress them you will remove the one layer of diamond. There are still quite a few companies that do vacuum brazed diamond or cbn in north america, don't count it gone.

Back