What's new
What's new

Norton Grinder

dana gear

Hot Rolled
My good buddy dropped this off at my home shop yesterday, he purchased it up in Washington state about 25 years ago and it has basically been in storage ever since. There appears to be no model number anywhere. There is a serial number stamped on the base 5943 as well as what I believe to be a date beneath that of 1944. Searching grinders on line it kind of appears to be a Norton model 1, tool and cutter grinder but that's a guess.
I did look in Vintage Machinery's site but found nothing close.
It came with about 150 pounds of mostly unused Norton wheels, and 5 boxes of tooling, several hundred pounds in all.
We have surface grinders here, however there's tooling in there that I simply have no idea what it was used for.
A lot of the tooling for the machine is still the original factory green paint and has Norton casted/stamped into it.
Any ideas on model? Source for manuals?

Attachments

• IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 111
look to see if the spindle needs oil so having oil fill ports of some kind. fill with only spindle oil. The motor may also have a placeto oil bearings so two or 3 drops of lub oil. Hand turn the spindle a good number of times before fire up.. It is likely a great tool cutter grinder, but I have never run one. You can do a great job sharpening end mills and most any kind of cutter.* the machine needs a wheel guard to be safe , likely there is one in the boxes.
The wheel head turns but is likely stuck..let me know and i will tell you how to free it.
It looks to be in great shape. If that 3 jaw fits something you can sharpen the shops drills, you just swipe across the primary at 59+ x 12* clearance and the hand roll the secondary with a bench grinder.
Do try to find a Norton manual (doing this justifies keeping the machine.)

But also download free the Cincinnati #2 Tc grinder manual a free download that shows the process to use the machine.
Operator's Instruction Book, Cincinnati No. 2 Cutter and Tool Grinder : The Cincinnati Milling Machine Company : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

This manual will explain much of the stuff in boxes and I can explain the rest.

Thanks for the info, here's a couple more pictures from the boxes

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 82
You are very lucky.Most people that end up with a T&C grinder end up spending more than the cost of the grinder scrounging up tooling.
Looks like you have just about everything you will ever need!

Back