What's new
What's new

Norton universal od id grinder

jim may

Plastic
I have a Norton Universal 14" od Id grinder. I have been noticing the table travel is getting slower to just about non
existent. Machine is about 40 or more years old still is very accurate. I bleed the hydraulic cylinder off on both sides pretty much the same. I have good hydraulic pressure and plenty of hydraulic fluid. Wondering where to look now?
Any ideas??

Spool valves can wear, also the travel cylinder packings don't last forever. Less work to clean the hyd control spools first & see. I could be just slow/sticking in the reverse/tarry part of the circuit.

My guess if it changes direction as expected (timing) and just slow travel then it is the piston packings. Usually you look at the ways & there should be plenty of oil weeping from underneath. With good pump pressure the course hand feed should feel like power steering, not like a lathe saddle - no matter the table size.

Good luck
Matt

Un hook the Hyd. Cylinder and lift the table off and clean under there and check t be sure the table is getting lube. Many times the ways get jerky and slow when all the scraping wears so flat you get "stick slip". Good preventive maintenance is to pull the table and clean under there. What do you consider good Hyd. pressure?
Rich

Ok had a repair service come in he took the front cover where all the controls were located and ended up adjusting the pressure for the tarry
and that fixed it

Back