What's new
What's new

OD grinder wheel type advice

egnuol

Aluminum
I am grinding 3/4" 4140 shafts about 30" long. Any advice on the wheel type to use or not to use? My grinder is a Cincinnati universal, wheel(14"x1 1/2" capacity) speed is around 6000.
Thanks, Darrel

It's tool steel but no I'm not using a follower. I'm just getting into this. I was feeding about .001 and using about 1/2 of the 1" wheel and 65RPM head speed. They are coming out good but my wheel is down to about 10" dia. and I will need another one to replace it.

4140 is an alloy steel that can be soft or heat treated. It makes a difference as to which wheel will be reccomended. Soft will be 15 -18 R/c , heat treated anywhere from 28 - 60 R/C. Got to know how hard it is first.

" I was feeding about .001 and using about 1/2 of the 1" wheel".

Need some help here. Using "1/2" of the wheel? Also what kind of tolerances are you holding here?

Thanks for your patience. We will be buying heat treated right now and we have to machine these on the lathe to a rough grinding size.( .015-.020 oversize) Need to have .001 TIR after grinding. If we can't turn heat treated, then we will use soft to turn, heat treat, grind, etc.

Back