What's new
What's new

Okamoto Accugar 124N problems!

Mike_

Cast Iron
I'm having some serious wiring problems with this dang surface grinder :angry:

It worked perfectly fine about two weeks ago, and as of yesterday it just wouldn't turn on. I just sort of assumed that it had something to do with a storm or something since we did loose power quite a bit around here the last few weeks.
So I started troubleshooting (aka, poking things with a multimeter in a random fashion.)

First, I found a contactor that had welded itself open. The plastic surrounding the coil melted and pooled in such a way that kept the thing from, well, contacting. I sort of cleaned the plastic up a bit to get it to engage and disengage properly and as far as I know it is working properly. (continuity where there should be, none when there shouldn't be any. 8 ohms across the coil, no shorts from what I can see...)

Now it has started blowing fuses, there are three little 1A glass fuses in the cabinet and one will pop every time the breaker is kicked on. This wasn't happening before I "fixed" the contactor.

I'm guessing that the fuses are for the control, but there is another fuse in the control box as well as one on the circuit board itself. I can't see anything out of the ordinary in the control box, though it does look as if someone has done some poking around with an iron at some point.

Anyway, has anyone ever had any trouble like this? Any tips as to where I should start looking?
Also, if anyone has a copy of the manual for this thing around I could really use a few copies of the wiring diagram! (or at least tell me what that dang fuse is on!)

Thanks guys!

With your power outage there could be several things it could be. When your power goes out and then comes back on you can have severe in rush of power.

For operator safety and safety of the machines when sever weather is coming our way we shut down all the machines and have the operators fo on clean up until the storm passes.

We make sure all the disconnects are off.

This is a much cheaper way than having a power spike and haveing poards blow on a machine. Or even worse and have a part blow off of one of our big grinders and injur somebody.

Last week a die shop had lightning hit their building and it took out many of their machines in our area.

Same machine, different problem

Went to use it this morning and the table won't change direction. Don't know if it's not reading the switch, the valve is sticking, or what else. Anybody have any experience with this one?

thanks,
t2r

I know on mine most all of the solder connections on the switches looked suspect, in fact the handle/auto feed switch didn't work at all because one wire came completely loose. You might check the direction switch, one of the connections may have come loose.

Also, those LED's on the circuit board tell you what the control is telling the machine to do. There are specific lights that light when the table is meant to be moving in one direction or the other. Not quite sure what that may tell you, but if the board is telling the table to reverse and it's not that narrows things down a bit.

I still have the manual if you want a copy, it explains the lights pretty well. Just PM me an e-mail address and I'll forward it to you.

Hi Mike,

I'm in the process of buying a used surface grinder and torn between a Chevalier 612SP and an Okamoto 612 or this Accugar model. What should I be looking at or be wary for a used Okamoto and at what price should it be considered a good buy?

Please advise.

Thanks.
Klik

Klik,

I'm not really up to speed on the surface grinder market, I just run this one and fix it when it breaks! I really can't give a list of what to watch out for either, I haven't been around this one long enough to figure that stuff out yet. One of the contactors had welded itself open this last time it broke though, it's pretty obvious when they go bad though and hard to tell when they will as far as I know.

Sorry I'm not much help!

I realize this is a super old thread but I could use a copy of this manual if you still have it.

Hi...I have an 820 and when the table gets stuck either left or right in my case it's the solenoid valve. We just used to replace them but like anything else price went way up. Now we take them apart and clean them. Easy to do and good as new.

Back