What's new
What's new

okamoto Linear-618B GrindX machine

specfab

Titanium
I am considering the item listed in the title, it is coming up for local auction soon. Any opinions on this Okamoto grinder vs. a Harig ball-way 618 machine? The Okamoto X-feed feels amazingly smooth and low-friction. The Harig was a tiny bit notchy, but still quite good. Any opinions welcome.

Okamoto is your best choice, but if you want to go further, Mitsui is your grinder.

I've been using the Okamoto and Mitsui grinders since they started showing up in the die shops back in the 80's. I didn't want to like them, being part of the Japanese invasion that began in the 70's. I find the Okamoto and Mitsui grinders to be very good machines, even purchased a Mitsui for the home shop. All the Parker/Reid/Harig/Boyar-Schultz/Thompson/Mattison/Covel/B&S I've used in the last 30 years have been well worn past the point of making a fair comparison. I would like to try a good condition Parker-Majestic sometime before I die. If it's in good condition I don't think you'll regret buying the Oko. The only Harig 618 I have experience with was older and had leaky hydraulics. Not a fair example to use.

Thanks for the feedback. I had hands on an Okamoto in the very late 90's, after my (then) company set up a new shop, and bought some additional machines. It was something like 8x18 or 8x20, I seem to recall. Seemed like an OK machine at the time, but I didn't have much to go on comparison-wise. The machine I am looking at now seems like a much more capable machine.

Back