What's new
What's new

Okamoto service engineer- ask me anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbone762

Plastic
I work for an Okamoto factory authorized dealer. We sell new & used Okamoto I.D., O.D. & surface grinders as well as factory spec rebuilds. I personally scrape, build, install, troubleshoot, service, rig/ deliver & train operators. I have been working on Okamoto machine tools for ~15 years. Ask me anything

Generous offer, glad to have your expertise here.

I'm sure you're aware, but just in case - thick skin and a sense of humor are a great help here. We have a few folks who seem to delight in taking others down, once you see their intent you can chose to ignore them.

Fanuc 15 control

What kind of failure can give you simultaneous plus and minus overtravel alarms on every single axis ?

400 mm Okamoto gear grinder, 1996, Fanuc 15 control, blurry photo, sorry :

View attachment 320452

While I have never had the pleasure of working on an Okamoto gear grinder, I welcome the challenge.
I recently encountered this exact issue on an IGM-4NC running the Fanuc 15T-a control.
I do not have schematics handy for this exact model but should be similar. Inside electrical cabinet, Look for the setup module with (2) relays per axis. These are typically labeled -Z/ +Z, -X/ +X, etc. This board is responsible for carrying the E-stop string & the N/C stroke limit switch circuits to the Fanuc I/O units giving the all clear to run. In my experience, If this board is damaged or shorted you will get over travel alarms in all axis.
Secondly, one or more of the Fanuc I/O units may be in a failed state. I have also come across this in similar instances.
Have you experienced any power failures, brown-outs or backup battery failure?

I recently encountered this exact issue on an IGM-4NC running the Fanuc 15T-a control.
I do not have schematics handy for this exact model but should be similar. Inside electrical cabinet, Look for the setup module with (2) relays per axis. These are typically labeled -Z/ +Z, -X/ +X, etc. This board is responsible for carrying the E-stop string & the N/C stroke limit switch circuits to the Fanuc I/O units giving the all clear to run. In my experience, If this board is damaged or shorted you will get over travel alarms in all axis.
Secondly, one or more of the Fanuc I/O units may be in a failed state. I have also come across this in similar instances.
Have you experienced any power failures, brown-outs or backup battery failure?
Muchas gracias, I've seen problems with one axis but never this, where every one shows overtravel in both directions !

Will run through your suggestions, again thanks much.

No power failures etc but the machine was recently moved to a different location, no telling what happens in transit.

I come from the rough streets of Reddit. I welcome any “tough customers”.
But thank you, your advice is appreciated.

Machine transport is a red flag. Double check all plugs, ribbon cables, relays, battery connections, etc. sounds like something may have been shaken loose.

Hello Tbone, Thanks for the kind offer.
I might not need your help right this instant,
but I brought home an Okamoto 8x20 machine.
Full hydraulic and not-roller ways, just regular
vee and flat ways. Anyhow, it was given to me
because the table would go one direction under
hydraulic power feed and not reverse. A service
guy replaced 3 hydraulic spool valves and a few
coils. No luck, so it sat in the shop with the
sheet metal guards off and neglected for 2 or 3
years. In that time it got really filthy.
So they gave it to me. I brought it home to my
shop and have not got to work on it yet. I know
it needs an almost complete take apart, just to
clean the ways before I scratch anything from
the grit and dirt. The bottom base has the
hydraulic reservoir, and it is super filthy
as well. I might fill it with kerosene and clean
all the components and lines with a brush before
flushing it multiple times.
Anyhow, a local friend and a machine dealer, told
me that he had the same machine and also his table
would not reverse. He said it was a simple
electrical prox. switch that sets the table limit
travel. I think he might be right, because everything
else has been changed. And if the electronics is
totally goofed, I can convert it to a PLC control.
So that is my machine story. Any comments on how
to preceded are appreciated.

-Doozer

Doozer- I recommend flushing your machine with Mobisol. This is added to your hyd/ way oil at a small percentage and run for about 8-12 hours. Do not run longer or you risk damage to hydraulic seals. At the very least, use a squeegee and lint free towels to wipe inside of reservoir clean. No need to soak with kerosene. Just be sure no coolant contamination is present.
Remove & inspect oil filter. I recommend replacing but at very least, clean in parts wash & blow off until dry. You should be able to see light clean through the inside of filter.
Fill machine with recommended mobile vaculine 1405 or vactra #1. (Must be a hydraulic/ way lube oil at 32vg)
As for the table issue, this could be several things
-valve body
-DX4B control or hydraulic control board
Table proximity switches
(failed or just dirty/blocked)
-terry valve adjustment
-leaking/damaged cylinder rod seals
-failed table directional switch
-sticky solenoids/ failed coils
(Although new, soiled oil will gum up new solenoids within days or hours)
-coils installed in wrong positions

Please let me know what control your machine has (DX4B or FX control) and I can narrow this down. Worst case give me serial #.
If the machine has a DX4B, the front panel of this control will display all I/O signals & alarms via red/ green LEDs. If so, tell me what # red LEDs you have.
A step further, if you are the DIY type, I can provide you a flow chart style trouble shooting guide.

Hope this helps, let me know what you find. There is more to check on the vertical after this is resolved.

A 8x20 cnc.
Fanuc yellow cap motors.
Bought from a friend who bought it from HGR and the control panel and others long gone.
Astonished that it had needle rollers on the in/out axis but all looks factory built and it is double vee. The needle ways seem so different in this.
Machine# 5248.
Was this a early cnc thing?
Can DX be changed to this if dealing with the screw height and centerline for the rollers? Normally needles like ground rather than flaked.
Love the machine base in this size.
Bob

Tbone762,

Hey there, first post...I have an Okamoto ACC1632DX grinder...nice machine. We purchased it new a few years ago, and we were a little slow, and decided that it would be beneficial to do some PM on the machine. We reached out to the Okamoto rep in our area, and they suggested the hydraulic oil to be changed, but prior to, draining approximately 5 gallons of oil, and adding 5 gallons of system cleaner. We did that, and rand the machine for the recommended amount of time. The Okamoto tech arrived and performed the suggested maintenance. Within a week, the machine stopped moving. Called Okamoto back in ($6500.00)...they cleaned the valve body, and got it working. Within a week, it has stopped again. Now they are claiming that we need a replacement valve body...I hope they are wrong. I have read elsewhere on this forum where other Okamoto owners add filters to the hydraulic system; is this advisable? Without having detailed knowledge or seeing the guts of this machine, is it possible to add an external oil tank with a filtration system? I did not mention that we grind silicon carbide based composites...pretty tough stuff. Thanks, Mark

Anything? What is the average life expectancy of a Sumo wrestler?:D Once again, appreciate your offer of help. We have one of your smaller grinders and it is doing a great job for us in making our extrusion dies.

I have an Okamoto 1632 ST that randomly skips a couple of down feed moves, say .001 x 2, then will drop .0015. Any idea what might cause this?

Thanks
Roy

okamoto igm-2m

I work for an Okamoto factory authorized dealer. We sell new & used Okamoto I.D., O.D. & surface grinders as well as factory spec rebuilds. I personally scrape, build, install, troubleshoot, service, rig/ deliver & train operators. I have been working on Okamoto machine tools for ~15 years. Ask me anything

Hello i am desperate for help on our Okamoto igm-2m i. d. grinder. The problem we are having is every time we try to move in x axis machine shuts down we had spindel drive and servo motor checked and both checked out good. We only had 1 alarm #51 and #37 on spindle drive. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back