What's new
What's new

oliver 510

climb-101

Cast Iron
I just picked up this Oliver 510 for a guy this week, It all looks like it is in good condition. I have the 3 sets of jaws with it as will as the operating manual and the service manual for it. I wasnt really looking for a drill bit sharpener but i figure it would come in handy.

I emailed oliver who was very helpful. Maryhere, told me it was built in 1942 and shipped to the Watervliet Arsenal in New York and from there it came to helena Montana where i picked it up from. The Watervliet Arsenal was started in 1813 and still is running today. Its the longest running arsonal in the USA and had historic Building 110, “The Big Gun Shop" where they made all the 16" cannons. The have a few very interesting videos on youtube where they have some very large tooling that is interesting to watch. They also developed the "bunker buster" bombs that we used in the Gulf war.

Watervliet Arsenal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The United States Army | Watervliet Arsenal

here are a few pics. It should look right at home next to my pacemaker and cleereman 30" drill press even though it might be a little overkill for a hobby shop.

oliver (2).jpg
oliver (3).jpg
oliver (1).jpg

Climb-101 Sir,
Why are sharp drill bits over kill for a 'hobby' shop ? Do hobbyists prefer dull ones ?
Just yanking your chain man ! Good score on the 510. You will find it really handy to have
A: sharp drills, B: having the in house capability to change the drill geometry to what ever your need may be.
I have a 600 and a drill point thinner and a 21.. I couldn't be with out them now that I have them.. Before the Olivers.. ignorance was bliss. They really make a difference. I even sharpen factory drills right out of the gate.. the more I learn about drill geometry the more I realize the factories really push out some poor products...
Enjoy it !
Stay safe
Calvin B
PS the folks at Oliver are first rate in their customer support !

I guess it's not overkill, dull bits suck. now what's going to suck is friends wanting me to fix there bits.

I did find out that my 510 has the round back jaws which is ok be use I have all 3 jaws. They dont make these jaws any more but it sounds like you can update to a set of V-jaws. I will need to call Oliver and get a new belt for it since this one is starting to crack and a new set of u-joint for the shaft that runs the chuck.

sounds like a great idea. didn't even know they had anything like that. I will ask

Maybe half shops I've worked had drill grinders, only one had an Oliver. Yes, a great machine. It was a mold shop, always drilling large diameter holes. If you have a column or radial drill, hand-ground bits degrade their potential.
I'm still pursuing grinder for my use. Once accomplished, be certain I'll solicit sharpening work, plenty job-shops in my vicinity.
You can remain a 'hobby shop and recoup the outlay of cash. You bought it - let them pay for it.
It's simple. Add cost of first wheel, & whatever spent getting in place and running. Divide by 1, 2 or 300. Compare that amount to price of a new 1" #3MT taper length drill. 1" is largest most guys can sharpen decently on a bench grinder. That's a good starting calculation; don't worry about profit, just cost of machine. After collecting that amount, you'll have a good basis for future rate.

Perhaps a bit overkill for hobby shop but still a good purchase if it was a good price. One shop I worked at had a Darex, which was better/easier for small drills but limited in drill diameter capacity. There was an older Oliver (looked of the same vintage as yours) that nobody wanted to use, preferring to hand sharpen larger drills for some of the lathe work. Nobody seemed to know how to use it and shied away from using it. It does a superior job of sharpening vs. hand grinding larger twist/spade drills. A bit of creativity can net you several point geometry options. Congratulations on the purchase and do heed the uncovered joints as they'll have no mercy. Even a temporary cover until a permanent solution is better than the risk of getting caught in those.

Wow, just noticed the OP date and revival of a dead thread.

Back