What's new
What's new

Opinions please of Wadkin Cutter Grinder

D Rennie

Aluminum
I have been looking for a tool and cutter grinder and today I came across a Wadkin Universal Cutter Grinder N.H. I had not known much about Wadkin until finding this grinder but they make good quality equipment for the woodworking industry. The grinder I have been looking at is much like a Cincinnati.

This is a link to one that is similar. The one that I'm looking at has the dividing head and tail stock. The guy is asking $1500.

http://www.scosarg.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/scottandsargeant/11096/81346

Some of the details are:

Table travel 28" by 9.25"
Head travel 8.75" vertically
Head rotates but does not tilt (240 degrees)
Weight 1650 lbs
Height of center of wheel to table - min. 6.75", max 15.5"

Question:

Are there any things that would be good or bad about this grinder? Wadkin sells it for woodworking blades and knives but is there any real difference? How important would a tilting head be?

Thanks in advance

Doug

If you are looking for a T&C grinder to sharpen tools, this aint it. The workhead can't be rotated about its axis or angled. As mentioned in your post, they make woodworking equipment. The ad you linked mentions only straight line grinding... -Mike

The later Cincinatti tool and cutter grinders had a tilting head, which would be a nice feature, other than that it looks like the Wadkin would do fine. Other than that, what determines the value of a cutter grinder is the tooling that comes with it. Basically if it doesn't come with any tooling, then I would say that price is way to high. You'll want at least a workhead and centre's would be good as well. The tooling isn't that common and can be fairly pricey, so it's worth checking out ebay to get an idea on cost before committing.

Thanks

Other than that, what determines the value of a cutter grinder is the tooling that comes with it. Basically if it doesn't come with any tooling, then I would say that price is way to high.

Been starting to realize that. I don't think this guy will take a lot less either as he didn't just "ask" for $1500, he said it was the least he would take.

....And this is a machinery dealer with an inventory problem. Has a warehouse jammed so full that you can't even walk between the machines. Have to crawl over them to get to them. And more in the drive way under tarp. Wow!

Doug

Quote: "Table travel 28" by 9.25""

Unless the one you are looking at is much larger than the ones you linked to, it does not have as much travel as stated. The ones you linked to have a bit over 1' X travel & are listed as grindign knives in the 12" range. If the one you are actually looking at, actually has as much travel as previously described, it could be useful.

If not, I think it is way over priced in todays market for any use, expecially with little or no tooling.

Around here, Cincinnati #2's with a universal workhead go for between $50 - *maybe* $500 at auction for the non-tilt head versions. Toward the higher end or maybe a bit more for a tilt head with lots of tooling, & maybe a bit more yet for one with a powered table. Most Cincy's have 16" travel. Some have 24".

As mentioned, tooling is everything. The bare machines, well, ahem, "barely" sell. Watch ebay to get a sense of what it might cost for tooling to add to a bare machine.

smt

Quote: "Table travel 28" by 9.25""

Unless the one you are looking at is much larger than the ones you linked to, it does not have as much travel as stated. The ones you linked to have a bit over 1' X travel & are listed as grindign knives in the 12" range. If the one you are actually looking at, actually has as much travel as previously described, it could be useful. smt

Yes, the one I looked at was a good solid machine with 28 by 9.25 table travel. Sorry, I didn't notice the specs on the linked machines.

I wish T&C grinders were as common in my neighbourhood. I have been to a number of the large auctions (Toronto area, Ontario Canada) since last fall and I only remember seeing a couple.
They sold for about $2500 but I didn't know enough about them then to notice what tooling was included.

At least I don't think that the Wadkin will be selling any day soon so I can keep looking (half the fun) and have it to fall back on if a boat load of tooling falls out of the sky on me.

This has been a great learning experience!

Doug

Back