What's new
What's new

OT (slightly) - small Dumore tool post grinder with a slide and a "rocker arm?" mount

aribert

Cast Iron
OT (slightly) - small Dumore tool post grinder with a slide and a "rocker arm?" mount

Slightly off topic. Decided the abrasive forum might be a better fit than the antique forum.

I purchased a Dumore Type 2AG tool post grinder at an auction. Its a small unit, 1/10 hp, 1/4 and 3/8 spindle diameters. For some reason this unit has a dovetail slide - why? How might it have been used? It has what appears to me to be a pivot-able leg that would fit an old rocker style tool post. Were rocker tool posts used on anything other than lathes? Since a lathe already has two axis of travel why might this unit have been made with its own slide?Dumore 2AG end view.jpgDumore 2AG bottom rocker leg.jpgDumore 2AG side view.jpg

Guess on my part:

Grinding a taper on a lathe with no taper attachment.

Part of an adaptation to grind or "touch up" the taper on a milling machine with the spindle in place.

A way to mount the grinder on a shaper or planer using what was at hand. If the metal bar allowed the dovetail to be parallel to the movement I wound wonder if it was "crash insurance". Better to have the grinder move in the dovetail than have the spindle shoved through the bearings if the stroke is misjudged,

J_R_Thiele

Thanks for your speculation! Grind a taper - never considered it might be used for something like that. I do believe I'll keep it as is and not hack it up. Now I just might find a use/need for it, as is, some day.

The grinder is setup with an internal grinding arbor.(note overdrive pulleys) using small wheels. Combined with that short travel slide, makes for a internal taper grinder. Nice

Probably not; it would have to be hanging out there pretty far. I agree that this looks like it was set up for grinding spindle I.D.s. - tapered or no.

Back