What's new
What's new

Parker Majestic #2 table drive issue

DavidR8

Aluminum
I recently acquired a 1963 PM #2 surface grinder.
Overall it is in excellent condition except one of the steel tapes that move the table snapped off at the drive hub.
There is likely enough adjustment to make up for the 1" lost to the break.
My challenge is trying to re-attach the tapes to the table. Because of their springiness the tapes are very difficult to keep wound on the hub while I lower the table into place.

Has anyone had to replace the tapes on one of these machines (or something similar? If you have I've be grateful for any advice.
Thanks in advance!

Finding a method it would good to take and post a few photos for future PM search.

I once wrapped a cable drive with upholstery thread..assembled the machine, and then picked up the table just enough to get in a knife to cut, and then picked out the thread with surgical pliers.

Each wrap gives perhaps a thirty-pound strength, so a number of wraps give a lot of holding.

Thanks Eugene, excellent idea.
I will definitely take photos @michiganbuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parker Majestic got back to me this morning.
They have bands in stock for $60.
The bands are considered a wear items and are typically good for five to six years in a production environment.
They also come with complete instructions on how to replace them.

So after bad mouthing PM and telling people it's one of the worst places, you come here to get information now? Talk about a hypocrite...

What a loser. Why not go cry to the mods here also?

So after bad mouthing PM and telling people it's one of the worst places, you come here to get information now? Talk about a hypocrite...

What a loser. Why not go cry to the mods here also?

Hey Alan I’ve missed you!

I replaced the table drive bands today.
Pretty simple process.
Parker Majestic sent instructions with the replacement parts.
Attach the rear band first
Put a weight on the end to put tension on the band.
Wind it on about 11.5 turns of the handle
Stop when the attachment point for the front band is visible.
Attach the front band with a weight on the outboard end.
There are sufficient wraps on the hub when the ends are 49” apart.
Place the table on the ways roughly in the centre.

The band clamps on my machine had different diameter studs so they were left and right specific. Check fit in the table before attaching to the table.

Attach the correct band clamp to the right side of the table first. Make sure to put it so the pin faces down otherwise you won’t be able to tighten the cap screws that hold the clamp together.
Put the damper washer on the outside of the attachment point and thread on the nut.
Keeping tension on the band, shift the table so that the clamp lines up with the band.
Attach the retaining block and snug it up.
Do the same on the left side of the table.

Check the band tension. There should be about an 1” of slack when the band is pulled down on either side.
The instructions are clear that over tensioning the bands will cause premature breakage.
230accc85ae5df9c297ac8299fc6cd27.jpg

b7f11491c1097ed6b63798889b1bc14d.jpg

7d65b2424897f34f3cf114348913c42b.jpg

Back