What's new
What's new

Picked up a Grindingmaster 36" belt grinder, any tips?

SShep71

Hot Rolled
I just picked up a 36" Grindingmaster belt grinder. I didn't have a "need" for it, but it was at a local auction and I got it for a exceptional price. It is a 1981 model, so Holland made, 14/24hp, it weighs 3000lbs and it came with what used to be a manual (I am still working on trying to figure that out). The machine isn't working currently, needs work, typical manufacturing mentality of run it till it dies. Why spend an hour a month of maintenance when you can just spend $20,000.00 every few years, right? I haven't put much time into it yet, when I connected it to power and air there are air leaks, but it wont run. I can get all the motors to spin by manually engaging the motor contactors, but no proper operation yet. There was no conveyor belt or abrasive belt so that is going to be a heavy price tag to replace (over $1100.00 from timesaver), Ill get there eventually. I have to make everything work properly before I start spending money. Like I said, I don't really need it, but I have several projects that are going to be a hell of a lot easier now that I have it. Any tips or tricks on running parts? I will make sure I get a few pictures of it.

Biggest heartache right now is going to be looking for an alternative to the conveyor feed belt, there are several threads on here on the topic but the search continues. I am hoping that there are ceramic grinding belts available for this. I am hoping to run a coolant mister head on it after I make some changes to accommodate mist setup.

Just thought I would update this just in case someone ever needs the info. I got my grinder working, there was several issues with the pneumatic system that was preventing it from running. There were missing rubber seals, blocked orifices, cracked plastic piping, and several other issues. I got everything worked out, now I am just waiting for a replacement conveyor belt to show up so I can put it on and test everything out. The machine is is a Grindingmaster MCSB900 grinder, it uses pneumatic belt tracking instead of the electric eye, it has electric pneumatic solenoid that when gets pressure will allow the electric side of the machine to come on-line. I have a bunch of pictures to post, and will get them up as soon as I have more time.

Back